Leopard Gecko with gout

EmiliaT

Hello, I just rescued a leopard gecko who seemed to be in ok condition until I took her to the vet and found out that she has gout. At the moment I don't know how severe it could be, the vet is seeing if she can get the medication needed to treat her first before we take any further steps. None of her joints are swollen only one of her toes are. She seems happy, alert and is energetic and has gotten used to her new home. Until I hear back from the vet though what's the best thing I can do for her to keep her healthy or not increase the uric acid in her body. I read that I should feed her insects that are lower in protein such as mealworms but is there anything else I can do to keep her comfortable? Also if it is manageable do you know how long she could live for? She's only about a year and a half at the moment. Please help I truly want her to have a good life regardless of her prognoses.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
There's no cure for geckos with gout, only management. I can't tell you how long it will live but I imagine you should treat it normally and make sure it isn't getting a diet with too much protein (so you shouldn't feed the bugs anything with too much protein like dry cat or dog food). Here's an article from Gecko Time about feeder nutrition:
Geckos with ultimately fatal medical conditions can live for quite awhile. My gecko colony was diagnosed with crytpsporidiosis nearly 4 years ago and although some have passed away, for the most part the ones I still have are quite large and healthy.
If anything makes you think the gecko is in a lot of pain (lethargic, hunched body) it may be time to take it to the vet for euthanasia.

Aliza

Visit our friends