Lethargic Leopard Gecko. Help Please

cvntha

Hello my name is Cynthia and my baby's name is Tobias and we would appreciate all the help and advice we can get. So I am a new leopard gecko owner. I have had my leopard gecko for almost two months now. I got him from Petco . The first week I had him he wouldn't eat and he was acting weird so I called Petco and they told me to bring him in and they'll watch him for a bit to see if what I was saying was correct. So they kept him for a few days then concluded that yes he wasn't eating but there were no other problems. So they had a vet see him and then started giving him some medication for his appetite. Well, he's been home for about a week now and yesterday morning during feeding time he was good walking around hunting his crickets but sometime in the afternoon he came around to his bathroom area and fell asleep there with his front legs tucked back. I thought nothing of this and thought he was just sleeping but then evening came and I was watching him and he got up to drink some water with his eyes mostly closed and then laid back down to sleep. I watched him most of the night and he's just laid there in the same spot and slept. Just now as I watched him he was awake and his head was up but his body is still in the same position. please help and give me any advice. thank you

cvntha

so this morning he was moving a little bit more but he is still showing signs of the same thing. I fed him this morning and he did eat. He also pooped this morning and I am not sure if that was the problem. Still keeping a close eye on him. If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated. Thank you. I am attaching a picture of his poop.

Attachments

• C5107AA5-7095-452A-A470-8C10A2594FFA.jpeg
    C5107AA5-7095-452A-A470-8C10A2594FFA.jpeg
    966.3 KB · Views: 7

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Sorry you're having a hard time. The poop generally looks OK, though it may have some undigested feeder in it. Could you post a picture of the gecko?

Aliza

cvntha

yes, I will. This is him currently. Still not moving much at all. He is eating and drinking. Don't know if I should take him to the vet. Don't know what is wrong. Thank you so much for replying.

Attachments

• D41FF451-AA34-4BDC-9159-2DF11EC95FAA.jpeg
    D41FF451-AA34-4BDC-9159-2DF11EC95FAA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If he's eating and drinking and pooping he's probably fine. These guys can be extremely lazy! He looks fairly well nourished from the picture. How about if you hold on for awhile and observe.

Aliza

cvntha

So I called the vet and they said he should be fine that they do tend to be lazy. I had observed that the main reason for my concern this time is that he was more active before, where these past three days he didn't move all night. He does seem better and I'm starting to think I was worried and crying for no reason. If I do notice anything I will take him to the vet for sure. Thank you so much for replying. I am a very easily worried leopard gecko mother. ❤️

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's easy to worry about a new pet. Often when a leopard gecko gets into a new space it checks everything out. Once it feels it "knows" the environment, it often reverts to being lazy. Your leopard gecko must feel safe to be able to be lazy again!

Aliza

Visit our friends