Live Plants

DaStos208

Hey! I was thinking of in the future making a more natural terrarium for my Leo, made mostly out of excavator clay and rock slabs from Home Depot. I also wanted to put some easy to care for live plants that would look good in a desert themed terrarium, like succulents or maybe some dull-colored air plants. What do you guys think? Good idea, bad idea, thoughts, comments, plant suggestions? All are appreciated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

DaStos208

Check out the big thread on the forum about "bioactive setups" for leos to get some good ideas!

Aliza
Sorry, i can't find the thread you're talking about. would you mind sending a link or giving instructions on how to get there? Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

skellie

If you google bioactive substrates there are some good how-to's. I use bioactive substrates for my bearded dragons and they love them. You'll need a lava rock/expanded clay bottom layer covered by fiberglass mesh (or something similar) as a drainage layer. I use a mix of topsoil (not potting soil), sand, and coco husk. Mostly soil, the sand is to help with drainage, and the coco husk is for organic matter than can break down. I put about 200 red wigglers, a colony of temperate springtails, and some local isopods (pillbugs) in to break down waste and leftover food. The reptiles love to dig around in it and seem happier with it than a less natural substrate.

Your tank will be too heavy to move so make sure you like where it is before you start. You have to keep the soil watered occasionally or it will die and stink. The soil holds heat really well which is another bonus.

skellie

I use tile for my leos, but I have friends who use bioactive setups identical to mine for their leos and it seems to work fine.

Visit our friends