mealworms pierced stomach of 2 month old leopard gecko

NeoGecko

Hi,

i am a Leopard Gecko owner, beginner, and I bought my gecko pregnant. I didn't know it then but I managed to have 5 eggs in total. 3 were empty the other 2 were born, first one is 2 months old and the second is 2 weeks old.

the 2 month old, eat 4 mealworms and i didn't know that they might bite its stomach and we have a swollen belly.

i took it the vet and he told me to put it in warm water for 15-20 minutes 2-3 times a day.

Is there anything else I can do to help it?

thank you

Attachments

• 20201028_145917439_iOS.jpg
    20201028_145917439_iOS.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Is the vet sure that this has happened because of eating mealworms? I spent 13 years bringing up hatchlings on mealworms and I never saw anything like this. On the other hand, I did have a gecko with an abdominal hernia that looked like that.

Aliza

NeoGecko

Yes, sorry for the delayed answer. My gecko died eventually.
So, the other gecko, i continued feeding her mealworms but i crash their heads before feeding them to my gecko.

She is fine up to now.

I suggest crashing their heads before feeding them to prevent this from happening.

Thank you,
Neo

I would be with Aliza on this. I don't think the worms are strong enough to do that. Also, unless the mealworms we're being crammed down the throat, the gecko's bite would have killed the worm before any issues.

Visit our friends