Mouth Rot

SuperStarz38

Hey I’m new here I have a make leopard gecko that is around ten yrs old. He has stopped eating and is shedding like crazy. His mouth is slightly open all the time and he’s lost weight and is not his normal self. Can I treat mouth rot at home? All my Exotic vets are months away to get in

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Do you have a reason to think it's mouth rot? If you're seeing red areas or scabs you can clean them gently with warm water or hydrogen peroxide. It also may be a bigger problem. I'm assuming that the temperatures in the cage are correct and that he's getting calcium and vitamin D3. You may want to consider making a vet appointment and letting them know that if there's a cancellation you can take it.

Aliza

SuperStarz38

Not definitely but I was going off of what I was reading. The humidity was a tad high so I corrected that and cleaned the terrarium from top to bottom. Just in case of any bacteria. What else could it be?

Is the gecko an enigma? Enigma geckos have a mental deficiency that can cause them to act oddly. If he did not behave like this before, however, I see no reason it would sprout up now. He might not like the food that you are offering him. Try a different feeder insect or gut load the ones you have differently. His tastes might have just changed.

Visit our friends