My big mystery

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member

Any doubt that this is a super snow?

Still don't know how it happened. I've hatched 2 more. One was a jungle that was very small (egg very small and not in good shape) that didn't survive. The other is an eclipse that may or may not (I think may not) be a Mack snow as well.

Aliza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Here's the next installment on my mystery: she's starting to yellow up (I think). I don't have a picture because it's just starting, it's dark out now (I'll see how she looks in daylight tomorrow) and I don't think a picture right now will show it. If she does yellow up, then what we have is a Mack snow eclipse whose pattern development follows that of a super snow but isn't a super. That makes more sense to me than a super snow with a snow gene from only one parent, but I've never heard of this before. Anyone else?
In another update, another hatchling from this pairing that I posted about on another thread as either a Mack snow or non-Mack snow eclipse, remains completely gray (not the super snow kind of gray). It will be interesting to see how this one develops, especially in conjunction with "mystery gecko".

Aliza

indyana

Crazy... I suppose looking at the last picture above, I can see how the pattern might really be a striped Snow Eclipse. No way I would have said anything but Super Snow on the original hatchling pic though.

The more I see of Snows, the more I believe there are more genes at work here than we realize.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
She's shedding this morning but definitely yellowing. It's not just a striped snow eclipse but one that develops like a super snow with no sign of striping at hatching.

Aliza

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
I feel better now since my female should have had no snow. I was worried trying to figure things out. Looking forward to an updated pic soon.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's a bit hard to see in this picture, but here she is right after her shed (she's 5 1/2 weeks old now). She has yellow coloring coming in, in between the body stripes:

Aliza

indyana

Yep, you can definitely see it deviating from traditional Super Snow at this point.

I feel as though we should get some more breeders involved, try to determine if anyone's seen this before. You're right that calling her a striped MS Eclipse really doesn't capture this. Maybe you've gotten a random mutation of the Mack Snow complex?

Anyway, I'd definitely be interested in seeing how her colors continues developing.

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
Yep, looks like a striped mack snow now. Is she eclipse, too? I can't see the nose well in the pics, but it looks white. I'm guessing it is. Definitely doesn't look like a super snow anymore though. Very cool little gecko.

It's got to make both of us feel better now. No confused genetics. :)

Visit our friends