My housing setup, do I compare?

Sikmike

Hello. I will be getting my AFT this week after the paycheck, and just finished my basic bare minimum enclosure for now (tin lid represents calcium lid for picture purposes). I am running my UTH unregulated (under left hide), and my 60 watt ceramic unregulated with an optional rheostat.

I just finished accurately measuring my temperatures within the tank, and was looking to see if I compare with other owners. Currently inside the hot hide it ranges from 94-96 degrees. The middle ground tends to stay around 76, with my humid hide at 77. The cool hide, like the other areas, sticks between 75-78. Is this okay for the areas not around the UTH to not break 80 degrees? This is all for one gecko, and in a 15 gallon terrarium. Some pictures below, thanks.

img0303yl.jpg

img0305x.jpg

gitrdone0420

Gotta catch 'em all!
I think that AFT's need more humidity that leopard geckos, so perhaps you should get a humdity gage? And be prepared to spray the tank a couple of times to raise the humidity. I think the temps for AFT's are pretty close to leos, and that would be having the warm side at about 95*F.
I dont have any AFT's, but this is just my understanding from reading a few posts... Hopefully more people can give you better opininons

Sikmike

thankyou for response, yeah humidity shouldn't be a problem, I just want to make sure my temperatures seem 'normal' to what other people's healthy active geckos are, and if not, how to improve it. I would feel bad if the gecko would never want to leave his hot hide because the rest of the cage isn't as comfortable.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
everything is perfect, you fattie should thrive its whole life in that enclosure..you know for humidity purposes instead of paper towel in the humid hide i would put some peat moss or eco-earth, or something of that nature...good luck and please post pictures

Sikmike

That's good to hear Alexestrada, I actually bought some sphagum moss to use as a humid hide substrate. But every site/forum I read it seems half the members pretend that anything other than paper towel is like signing a death waiver for your gecko. I'm really torn on what to do, the whole impaction thing is concerning. I only plan on feeding small amounts of crickets a few times a month for purely enrichment purposes, so the chances of hunting impaction would be very slim to none. Thanks again.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
That's good to hear Alexestrada, I actually bought some sphagum moss to use as a humid hide substrate. But every site/forum I read it seems half the members pretend that anything other than paper towel is like signing a death waiver for your gecko. I'm really torn on what to do, the whole impaction thing is concerning. I only plan on feeding small amounts of crickets a few times a month for purely enrichment purposes, so the chances of hunting impaction would be very slim to none. Thanks again.

crickets a few times a month? lol did you write that wrong? lol..do you plan to feed worms? cause if you dont then crickets a few times a month is not sufficient your gecko wont do to good..i would try to get him to eat worms..(small super worms) mulburry farms has them...i tried worms..that didnt work out a all..not its crickets for me and i think my fat tails are truly more happy..

Sikmike

Hahah of course not, I was implying that mealworms don't require much hunting and wouldn't get inside the humid hide. I'm hoping my aft will take mealworms/superworms, and was going to give crickets just for enrichment once in awhile because like you said they may enjoy more. If I have to use crickets then that's fine, picky eaters they sound like :)

Bongo

Back-woods Gecko
Great set-up. I use moss in my humid hides without a problem. They are very picky eaters. Only one of my four AFT's will eat mealworms.

Visit our friends