My leo doesn't look good :( (information inside)

Insubordinate

About your leo:
- Sex: Female
- Age & Weight: 7-10 Years(?) / NA
- How long have you owned your leo: 2 years
- Where was he/she obtained (ex. Pet store, breeder, wild caught, friend): friend of a friend. I adopted.

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo: This one does not like to be handled.
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how does he/she normally act which differs from now: She is normally hiding in a rock, doesn't come out much except to eat. Doesn't like to be handled and scares easily.
- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe: Never.
B) Fecals
- Describe (look any different than normal): Haven't noticed a difference
- When was the last time he/she went: Not sure.
C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem and how long it has been going on: Just moved and both geckos hard bad sheds and needed q-tips. The sick gecko is hardly moving (when she moves its like she is in pain?), not eating, her tail is small (when normally REALLY fat). When I pick her up, its like she doesn't want to move. She also opens her mouth from time to time when she never used to. Her legs stay back and she doesn't want to move (it is like she doesn't want to move her front legs and her back legs push her whole body when she does move). Her legs also shake when she moves.

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size: 80g
- Type (ex. glass tank): Glass with front sliders.
- Type of substrate: Organic
- Hides, how many, what kind: 2 hot (UTH and lamp), 2 middle, 1 humid, 2 cold.
B) Heating
- Heat source: UTH, 100w lamp with good temps.
- Cage temps (hot side, cool side): 85-95, 65. Big area to choose temps.
- Method of regulating heat source: Thermometer
- What are you using to measure your temps: Thermometer
- Do you have any lights (describe): Day time 15w with sun cycle
C) Cage mates
- How many (males, females): 1 female
- Describe health, or previous problems: None besides the bad shed after the move as well.

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What you're feeding (how often, how much): They started on crickets. Moved to mealworms with no problems. After the move, they dont want to eat mealworms so I have been feeding crickets. I feed 1-2 times a week with crickets and leave mealworms in dishes.
- How are you feeding (hand fed, left in dish, ect): See above
B) Supplements (describe how often)
- What vitamin/minerals are you using (list brands): None
- What are you gut loading food with: None

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The clue may be the response to the last questions about supplements. Geckos need calcium and D3 to help metabolize the calcium as well as some vitamins and minerals. Geckos who don't get these supplements look fine for awhile (sometimes a long time) but eventually they don't have the building blocks they need for strong bones. Your gecko's limbs may look rubbery and have trouble supporting her. There are a variety of ways to supplement. The easiest is to dust all feeders with Repashy Calcium Plus. Your gecko may need some emergency intensive calcium treatment and should probably visit a vet.

Aliza

Insubordinate

The clue may be the response to the last questions about supplements. Geckos need calcium and D3 to help metabolize the calcium as well as some vitamins and minerals. Geckos who don't get these supplements look fine for awhile (sometimes a long time) but eventually they don't have the building blocks they need for strong bones. Your gecko's limbs may look rubbery and have trouble supporting her. There are a variety of ways to supplement. The easiest is to dust all feeders with Repashy Calcium Plus. Your gecko may need some emergency intensive calcium treatment and should probably visit a vet.

Aliza
I do have a bowl of calcium (without D3) which both geckos lap up (I replace the bowl when low).
I figured the move caused the bad shed (in both geckos). One shed earlier on and is doing fine now, while the other is now looking bad. It looks/sounds like it was right after the bad shed (which I helped with). I don't know what's wrong. :(

Embrace Calamity

I do have a bowl of calcium (without D3) which both geckos lap up (I replace the bowl when low).
I figured the move caused the bad shed (in both geckos). One shed earlier on and is doing fine now, while the other is now looking bad. It looks/sounds like it was right after the bad shed (which I helped with). I don't know what's wrong. :(
AC is right. What's wrong is the supplementation. Problem with the calcium dish is that, without D3, the geckos can't use the calcium. Vitamin D3 is what allows their bodies to use calcium. Without it, the calcium is kind of useless. A healthy gecko being properly supplemented shouldn't need to use its calcium dish much if at all (with the exception of breeding females). Just because one has more obvious signs than the other, that doesn't mean they're not both suffering.

A move would not cause a bad shed. Shedding problems are 99.999% of the time caused by one of two things: lack of proper humidity or a vitamin A deficiency. Assuming you have a humid hide and given that you're not providing any vitamin A, your geckos definitely have a deficiency in that vitamin as well. You need proper supplementation or you will begin seeing more and more problems until it's too late to solve them. Definitely pick up Repashy ASAP.

~Maggot

SC Geckos

Animals hide pain very well so if this gecko visibly looks like it is in pain, it needs to see a vet ASAP instead of letting it suffer while you attempt to get answers online.
Also I doubt it is due to a recent bad shed, especially when you state that
her tail is small (when normally REALLY fat)
from that it seems as if this animal has been going down hill over a period of time.

Last I would strongly recommend separating this sick animal from the other in case it is something other than a supplement issue like infection or parasites of some sort. You eliminate the potential to spread something to your other gecko.

DrCarrotTail

Others have pointed out some good things to think about and I doubt this is the only thing going on but being insecure and stressed for a long period of time could cause side-effect and make her more susceptible to little things that may not cause problems in unstressed animals. If she is alone in an 80 gallon tank (did I read that correctly?!) she may feel insecure unless there are tons places to hide and easy close access to heat gradients and moist hides without having to walk long distances across open areas. Having hides that are super big and roomy on the inside may contribute to insecurity and/or stress (bigger isn't necessarily always better).

mörten

How is your girl doing? Any updates on her health? I agree with the others, giving her vitamins is of utmost importance. "Repashy calcium plus" is a good supplement to dust her every feeding with. If you have trouble feeding her and if she refuses to eat food dusted in multivitamins, I suggest you gently put some multivitamin along her mouth (with a tops for example). This way she will be able to lick the calcium off of her "lips" and get all the important vitamins that she does seem to need after what you described.
I wish you all the luck and hope your little one gets better :)

Visit our friends