My Setup for new Leo - how's it look?

JeepFreak81

Hey there everyone. So I've got my setup almost complete and I'm planning to pick up my new little buddy this weekend if all goes well.

My setup is a 10g tank with a tile substrate, a thin layer of sand is under the tile to help transfer heat better. I've made 2 styrofoam hides that were grouted and sealed with help from my lovely wife. Her's is the one on the left and she says it's better than mine....I don't disagree :main_laugh: The tupperware in the middle will serve as the moist hide for now which will have paper towels in it.

Here's a picture of the setup as it sits right now.

DSCN2239.jpg

I have a few questions though. I'm using the Exo-Terra 8X8 heat mat and it already seems like it's going to work out well. It's plugged in to a lamp dimmer so I can adjust if I need to. I have the probes for my thermometers taped down to the tile. 1 in the warm hide, and 1 in the cool hide. I duct taped right over the probe to keep it right on the tile. Is this good practice? Also, with the moist hide should I just lay moist paper towels on the bottom or crumple them up and stuff em in there?

Still need to pick up a couple of dishes and maybe a fake plant, and also add a background.

Questions? Comments? Suggestion? Let's hear it...I'm still new at this and looking forward to it very much! :main_thumbsup:

EDIT - just realized you can actually see the temps in this picture. I had JUST plugged the heat pad in so those temps don't reflect what the tank will be at. Although the cool side is probably close to accurate.

Last edited:

Dimidiata

Looks good, might i make a suggestion about the humid hide, i found that rango liked his dark. I was using a tupaware piece but he never went in it until i started using a butter container wich made it a bit darker, not sure if this is true for everyone just something i thought id mention. The hides both look great btw.

JeepFreak81

Thanks for the tip on the hide, I'll have to take a look to see what I've got to make the moist hide a bit more private. Got a background printed out and put up today.....looks pretty good. Can't wait!!

Visit our friends