Need a suitable heat lamp for my viv

marksweb

I've got a Reptihome - Vivexotic Vivariums (medium size)

Currently it's heated with a heat mat under the substrate on one side and the temperature is probably 20-25 degrees C (70ish Fahrenheit) during these colder winter months. That's measured with a digital thermometer which is about half way up the back wall of the viv, so kind of like the air temperature of the hot side.

We have a hide sat directly over the area where the heat pad is, inside of which they have dug down closer to it. A temperature reading in there is about 35 degrees C or 95 F. Just behind the hide where they often sit is about 28/82 degrees. There's also a cold hide with moss in it which at least one of them has been sleeping in fairly often recently. I imagine it's fairly cold in there as I often spray water in there when keeping the cold side damp. Do these temperatures sound ok?

The geckos aren't feeding very much so I think it's because of the temperature being too low & them effectively hibernating a bit. Although I don't know very much at all, I've just googled reasons for them not eating!

The viv doesn't have any openings on the top to attach big heat lamps like I've seen on some, so I was hoping someone could offer a suggestion on a good solution to get extra heat into the viv.

It's not the best photo, but too get an idea of our viv there's a shot here; Instagram
The hot side is on the left so I imagine a lamp that we can stick to the left hand side or on the back near where the vent is.

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Thanks for including both C and F temperatures. I think a 95 degree floor temp and a 70 degree air temp are just fine and too much more heat will potentially dehydrate the gecko. Based on the pictures of the enclosure I see, it doesn't seem as if there's a lot of ventilation. I don't think you need additional heat at all. If you have female geckos, they may be ovulating and will temporarily have a reduced appetite.

Aliza

Neon Aurora

Out of curiosity, what kind of substrate are you you using? It sounds loose, and loose substrate can be dangerous to leopard geckos.

I agree with above, you definitely don't need any more heat.

marksweb

Thank you guys. Since the first time posting this I've slowly been happy with the temperature.

We feed them meal worms and locusts and have the substrate is loose, but we got all the stuff from a friend who runs the pet shop. So it should be ok. We feed them from a hard dish or a pair of tongs so that avoids the danger of them ingesting the substrate.

I've normally been happy that they'll eat when they want to, so just got a little worried when their appetite dropped.

Neon Aurora

Just so you are aware, there is still impaction risk here. It is lessened if they are being fed with tongs, but leopard geckos investigate everything with their tongues. Ingestion of small amounts of substrate over time is still a risk.

There are many solid options that look just as good as loose substrate. For example, slate tiles or sand mats (sand is glued to mat, so not loose) or excavator clay (a personal favorite). These would be a much safer choice for your geckos. Why take risks to their safety when it is not necessary?

Visit our friends