NEED SOME HELP HERE.......

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
OK This little fatty was sold to me as a female, the person I got her from bought her from Luxurious Leopards an she is still on thier website and posted as a female. However, when I got "her" last week, "she" really looks like a "he" to me. I contacted the person I got "her" from and she said she's never been bred, but is guaranteed a female....Im still not convinced....can any one help me?

Also why is one bulge bigger an darker than the other?

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
(for some reason I cant edit....but I forgot to mention, my cameras macro lens really int that strong, just a little digital macro point and shoot type, but I do see pores, but dont know if its regular female or male pores?) I can try to get better pictures later.... She or he wouldnt stay still :)

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
that kinda looks male to me honestly. and i was ask the same thing about that bulge. something looks off with that gecko to me. maybe someone with more fatty experience could help more, but that seems strange.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Tara, it looks female. At that age, males will have like a waxy substance on the pores and the two bulges are indistinguishable...fattie females sometimes tend to have large pores but dont have the two bulges...

Male (sorry the picture is kinda fuzzy, he doesn't really sit still):
100_1472.jpg

Female:
100_1469.jpg

Hopes this helps! :main_thumbsup:

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
isk, what happened to the pictures of the female on photobucket... and i cant fix it, i will take a new one tomorrow so you can see.. but at least you can see the male...but im sure you know how to sex geckos lol ;) just know that Fat Tail females tend to have sometimes larger and more visible pores..

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Hey Alex, what do you think about the lopsided "bulge" though? One side is not really bulgy, and the other is bulgy and greyish, and THAT is really what is throwing me off here?

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
i thought that was just that the gecko was sideways or something... I still want to say female because those pores are not super dark... but lol, it does look strange..

gixxer3420

I have a female fat tail from Pat that has the same bulge. The bulge doesnt make it a male. Your fat tail looks like a female to me.

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Do you think anything is wrong with "her"? What could it be? The greyish bulge is definitely there, its NOT positioning.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I'm kinda leaning towards male, not so much because of the bulge but also because of the size and shape of the scales around the vent. They're much smaller than what I'd expect to see on a female.

Male:
maleleopardgecko1.jpg

Female:
femaleleopardgecko1.jpg

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Grrr wouldn't let me edit... BUT note the difference in the scale shape on the male and female... the male's scales are all drastically smaller starting under the pores and straight down to the buldge, the female is noticeably larger all the way along the belly, no different where the pores should be if it were male, and even all the way to the opening of the vent before they change in size.

As far as the uneven bulge goes, could be an undescended testicle or maybe if it is female some type of partial fecal impatction? is there a gland there?

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Tara, this girl was hatched in early 2009 right? This is why I am sticking with Female. By now one could tell if it was a male, not doubt ... This gecko will be 2 years old in 2 months..so I am going to stick with my decision and say it is a Female

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Yes, I am told her hatch date is January of 2009. I'll believe you Alex, since this is your area of expertise...Im going to eventually breed her to my beautiful tangerine male I got from you, so I guess we'll find out for sure then :)

Any ideas though on what the bulge is, is it something wrong? or anything to be concerned about? Why is it there?

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Yes, I am told her hatch date is January of 2009. I'll believe you Alex, since this is your area of expertise...Im going to eventually breed her to my beautiful tangerine male I got from you, so I guess we'll find out for sure then :)

Any ideas though on what the bulge is, is it something wrong? or anything to be concerned about? Why is it there?

I wish i knew :/ I have never witnessed that..

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have found female fat tails to be pretty bulgy. If Pat sold it (originally from Lux. leopards) as a female I'd bet on it being female.

Aliza

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
+1 for female. As far as the lopsided bulge, goes, that I'm not sure about. Females can be kinda bulgy as mentioned, but I personally have never seen the one sided thing. Maybe Rob can chime back in on this, I'm curious about this myself.

Visit our friends