New gecko owner looking for general information

Glitterglitz25

I just purchased 2 leopard geckos yesterday from petsmart, I'd like some information on what types or breeds they are in case it has any difference with feedings. Also need help on what to feed them and how often I've read alot of contradictory things about it and I just want to know more in depth. Snapchat-1980136414.jpg

Attachments

• Snapchat-642155820.jpg
    Snapchat-642155820.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 20210714_184802~2.jpg
    20210714_184802~2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The first one is a hypo (fewer than 10 spots on the body, at least as far as I can see) tangerine (orange colored) carrot tail (orange on the tail) stripe (bands go from shoulder to tail instead of side to side so they look like stripes running the length of the body and tail).
I can't see too much of the other one but it looks like a Mack snow (black and white instead of black and yellow). It will most likely get yellower as it matures.
Do you know the sexes? If they are housed together and either you don't know or they're anything besides 2 females you would do best to separate them.

Aliza

Glitterglitz25

I'm not sure the ages or sexes. But normally petsmart carries all males. How do u find out the sexes?
So I've been noticing that the mack snow goes into hiding when the hypo comes out to hunt, also noticed the mack snow has been acting differently. It's been wagging its tail and kinda staring up. Should I be concerned?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Think about separating them if you feel it's likely that they're both males. Make sure that both are getting to eat and that one isn't getting intimidated.

Aliza

nessasimmons

an easy way to know the sex your leopard gecko is to look at the under side of their tail and if theres pre-anal pores and a hemipenal bulge, it is a male. if there arent those things, it is a female.

Rydikulus Reptiles

Hi! Welcome to the hobby! Be wary of following any husbandry advice from Petsmart, as their information is often outdated and misinformed. All leopard geckos are fed the same no matter what morph they are, so don't worry about that! Feeding your babies a variety of different insects is key to maintaining a thriving leopard gecko. Make sure you also gutload and dust your feeders with calcium with vitamin D3.

I strongly recommend separating your leopard geckos into their own enclosures as soon as possible. I see you mentioned tail waving also. When a leopard gecko waves their tail, it is a defensive and territorial display. The one who is waving its tail is likely trying to show dominance over the other that is housed with it.

Sadly, it's not a matter of if, but more so when leopard geckos will fight. They are solitary animals and while they will tolerate each other, if you see them "cuddling" under the heat lamp, it isn't a bonding display, it is a dominance strategy to try to get the most heat. They will eventually squabble and this could lead to serious injury and even death.

There is a lot of information that goes in to keeping leopard geckos, but thankfully they're super easy to care for once you get the basics down!

On the Rydikulus Reptiles Facebook page, the "Files" tab includes information we've put together in a neat and easy-to-understand manner, such as feeding, lighting, heating, humidity, enclosure must-haves, and an entire list of everything you'll need to make sure your geckos are happy and healthy!

Please also feel free to DM me if you have anymore questions and I'd be happy to help!

Have a great day!

- Rai

Visit our friends