New Guy

ercnan

New guy here.
Currently just a single Crested in a hand built bio active 4x2x3 and enjoying it. IMG_3718.jpeg IMG_3722.jpeg IMG_3712.jpeg IMG_3699.jpeg IMG_3692.jpeg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I was curious about how long you'd had it set up because sometimes plants that look great the first week don't pan out. I've had that happen a lot. I'm glad your enclosure looks so good a few months down the line!

Aliza

ercnan

I was curious about how long you'd had it set up because sometimes plants that look great the first week don't pan out. I've had that happen a lot. I'm glad your enclosure looks so good a few months down the line!

Aliza
I was the same way. Actually, all of the plants except the wandering jew and pothos were purchased around the same time as the materials for the build starting in the spring. They were the small cup "starter" versions if you will, like a little flat of petunias or something, and kept in a plastic tote to grow out a bit until the enclosure was ready for the transfer. Afterwards, they wilted a bit at first of course, but sprang back reasonably well I think.
I've already pruned it once and probably will again soon. That spider plant should have been placed in the back but moving it now would disrupt a lot, so I'll just keep it cut back for now.
The wandering jew and pothos are cuttings from a smaller 18x18x24 Exoterra in another room I've had for a year or so that houses a little brown anole and those things are ridiculous. Can't hardly kill either one of those anyway, I think the sap would take root.
It's the smaller, slower growing ferns and such that they are covering up for light and maybe hogging water as well.
4 nozzles spraying for 30 seconds every 6 hours doesn't seem hold the soil moisture like I want it so I've ordered a different pump capable of supplying 8 nozzles and will add 2 more to start and see how it goes.
The humidifier is just for the dry air if need be, and it kinda looks cool too I guess when it layers the tank with fog.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Glad things are working out. I haven't had as much good result with plants, but I now know what works and use that (lots of pothos!) as well as trying out other things on occasion.

Aliza

Visit our friends