New here and need some helping advice!

Jguicer

Hi I'm Jessica and came looking for a forum on geckos for advice. My daughter was given a leopard gecko and it was given to her and it arrived skinny and unhealthy. She also has one of her own which is perfectly healthy and a fatty lol. Anyways the little guy has not ate much at all since we got him. He has ate 1 cricket in a week. Is he ok still eating a little bit as long as he is eating? What other advice do you guys have or what can be done?

panthergecko

Try to get your hands on a variety of other feeders. Hornworms, super worms, meal worms, dubia even wax worms. I had a gecko who was given to me in very bad state. I syringe fed them a stimulant and they have recovered quite a lot.

Jguicer

A stimulant as in what? A different kind of food? I did get some mealworms and so far uninterested but this is something I havnt been able to see myself because it stays at her grandmothers. I am thinking about bringing it home with me where I can make sure it is cared for so I want to know everything it will need and what I can do for it.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
There are some powdered foods that can be mixed with water and made into a paste to feed a gecko that's not eating. In my opinion, the most important thing is to find out if the gecko is in such bad condition because it wasn't fed or because it's ill, especially if it's sick with something contagious. Please take the gecko to a reptile vet and have it checked out. Have it tested for cryptosporidiosis. Keep this gecko far away from your other gecko and wash your hands well after handling it.

Aliza

Jguicer

If it does have that is it only contagious to other reptiles and thanks for the advice. She really hasn't been holding it but regardless if I take it home with me I have rats and I do not want to risk it.

Jguicer

I have tried horn worms meal worms and crickets he has yet to eat anything. I have been giving it some stimulant and it has been better with that. I also got stronger heat lamps because the ones that came with it didn't seem to be keeping the cage warm. I have been trying to get in touch with rescues I am going to try and call vets tomorrow but I will be unable to afford a very expensive bill im going to hope that I can find somewhere affordable or even a rescue to respond. It also never opens it eyes all the way.

panthergecko

Some pictures might help. I got a rescue gecko that came in really rough spot. I was considering euthanizing him, but gave him two weeks to try to recover with assistance. Once his eyes recovered he started eating again on his own.

Jguicer

Here are some pics. She does respond and take the stimulant but I tried feeding her a hornworm last night she bit down on it but then shook it out of her mouth like she didn't know whT it was or something. Im really worried about her. Should I let her soak in some warm water or something in case its from shedding I havnt seen her eyes completely open 20210913_202430.jpg 20210913_202423.jpg 20210913_202420.jpg

panthergecko

One thing, this gecko is in a bad spot. I would remove the substrate for now. Get her on paper towels. I think you can do mail order parasite tests.

Somethings worth trying:

Flukers Repta Boost

Repashys Grub Pie

Do they take wax worms ? Drinking water?

I would syringe feed and give them water as well via syringe.

Jguicer

Yes I am very worried for her and ok ill take all of it out today and put paper towels I've been wondering that as well. I have sprayed her some and she was in her water dish last night...everytime I wake up I check on her. I do have a couple crickets in there as well. I have not tried wax worms yet but I will. Unfortunately I so not have a pet co near me ill have to see if our little pet stores have any or order some online. I should keep her hide in there still and just remove everything else as well

Jguicer

Of course the substrate but the crickets u also have a small bowl with mealworms in there in case she decides to eat them

panthergecko

I would put like 10 medium meal worms in there. An easy number to remember, but they definitely look like they are in the syringe feed for a good (at least a few months) territory.

Hopefully you find a vet for this little one

Jguicer

Not in a bowl or anything right just loose in cage? I hope I do too and what is worst I can't find anything out about him from before...so I don't know how long he has been this way etc.

Jguicer

Om thanks for all the advice as soon as I get off work im going straight home and getting the substrate out of the tank etc. Im going to give him some water in a syringe etc. I seen something about his eyes being closed due to stuck shed skin. Should I put a bigger water thing? Anything I can do for that?

panthergecko

Om thanks for all the advice as soon as I get off work im going straight home and getting the substrate out of the tank etc. Im going to give him some water in a syringe etc. I seen something about his eyes being closed due to stuck shed skin. Should I put a bigger water thing? Anything I can do for that?
I personally used Repta Rinse
and after softly using it. I applied a medication. Cleared up with in a week. But I would go to the vet for that

Jguicer

Well. I just made it home from work and the poor guy didn't make it whoever even let him get close to this way should be ashamed of their self. They could of at least have him away before he got so bad. Thanks for all the advice anyways.

panthergecko

Well. I just made it home from work and the poor guy didn't make it whoever even let him get close to this way should be ashamed of their self. They could of at least have him away before he got so bad. Thanks for all the advice anyways.
Sorry to hear that, I felt that why as well. when I given a gecko in bad state.

Visit our friends