New housing for adult leo

waternut13134

Hi,I have had my leopard gecko for about a year now and she is doing better than ever. Recently I just switched her to a new cage and I have now put sand as her substrate. I tape the thermometer probe on the glass of the tank where the tank heater is at then put the sand over the prob. (its barley covering it) my question is do I keep the probe on the bottom of the tank or on top of the sand? Because at the lowest power setting for my tank heater is sitting around 97-99 degrees. Is that an ok temp for my leo? ( the other side of the tank is a lot cooler)

Also the kit I bought came with a UVB light,I know leos dont need it or just a little bit,but can I still use it since she will have a place to hide if she needs to get out.

The kit I bought is this one,I have the Medium size one.
Exo Terra

Thank you so much

Khrysty

Hopefully the top of the sand is a bit cooler than that. You'd want it to be around 95 degrees. You also want to put the probe on top of the sand, as that's the place where your gecko is going to be crawling around.

waternut13134

I do believe it is. The sand is not that hot to the touch. Also the sand is safe for her right?

Any suggestions on the UVB bulb. Thanks

Khrysty

I do believe it is. The sand is not that hot to the touch. Also the sand is safe for her right?

Any suggestions on the UVB bulb. Thanks

There's a big debate about the safety of sand. I avoid it, as a rule. She's an adult so as long as you properly supplement her and make sure she has plenty of water at all times she should be able to pass any sand she accidentally ingests (some say there is still a minimal risk of impaction, some don't). You NEED to change the sand as often as possible, though, because unless you plan on having an entire ecosystem in your cage (with soil, isopods, worms, etc to break down the waste), it can get very unsanitary.

Idk what to tell you about the UVB bulb. I would leave the hood on, but the light off, personally. There's no real need for it. But it can't hurt her if she's got places to hide when the light is too bright.

waternut13134

ok great. Thank you so much. Yes she has both a hide on the cool side,one on the warm side and one right in the middle so she has more than enough places to hide. She actually comes out when i turn the light on.I think ill watch her the next few eatings and make sure she doesn't eat to much sand. Thank you for all your help.

gitrdone0420

Gotta catch 'em all!
There's a big debate about the safety of sand. I avoid it, as a rule. She's an adult so as long as you properly supplement her and make sure she has plenty of water at all times she should be able to pass any sand she accidentally ingests (some say there is still a minimal risk of impaction, some don't). You NEED to change the sand as often as possible, though, because unless you plan on having an entire ecosystem in your cage (with soil, isopods, worms, etc to break down the waste), it can get very unsanitary.

Idk what to tell you about the UVB bulb. I would leave the hood on, but the light off, personally. There's no real need for it. But it can't hurt her if she's got places to hide when the light is too bright.

+1.
Im not going to tell you whether sand is good or not. Its such a big debate, so you should really decide for yourself after doing your research.
I personally dont use it, but thats me.

Visit our friends