New to a leopard gecko

LizardMomma

Hello everyone I am new to owning a leopard gecko, I’ve had beardies before but never a leopard gecko. I think my tank might be too small and I purchased like a hide hole cave but it seems he or she doesn’t like it. They won’t go in it should. I put it there incase it shredded but now I’m wondering if I should just put a have rock thing with some moss in it? Please help I thought I read enough research that it was safe to get one now I’m not soo sure. Penny(gecko) appreciates all the help you guys can give me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Congrats on your gecko! It looks as if you have a 10 gallon tank there, right? If the gecko is a juvenile, that size is fine for now. A 20 gallon long (30x12x12") is better for an adult. The lights are fine, but not necessary as long as the room the gecko is in has visible daylight during the day (the leopard geckos, unlike you're beardies, is nocturnal). The heat pad is actually best on the outside bottom of the tank. The heat from the pad is vented either by using those little adhesive plastic feet that the pad comes with or putting some little wood shims or dominoes under each corner. At this time of the year, you may as well leave the pad where it is because once you pull it off, it won't work as well. It will probably need to have a thermostat if it doesn't already. When you get a new, larger tank, I recommend you get ZooMed heat cable (probably the 25' size) which you can tape under the tank according to the enclosed directions. I've found that Nashua tape (aluminum foil tape with adhesive on the back and baking paper that you peel off -- the roll is the same shape as duct tape and is sold at Home Depot or equivalent). That way you have the option of pulling it off and re-installing whenver you want. That can use the thermostat as well

Aliza

LizardMomma

Thank you soo much yes penny has a ten gallon tank and thank you so much for the advice. No I don’t have it on a thermostat I just let it on for an hour and off for a few. PetSmart said penny was like 2 maybe 3 months old I’m worried cause it’s so tiny and my 7yr old daughter is relying on me to keep penny alive.
Stephanie

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Post a picture of Penny and I can tell you what I think. When you get the proper heat pad in the proper place with the thermostat, you'll be able to leave it on all the time. Consider buying some heat cable and installing it with a thermostat (and turning off the pad on the side) so Penny has belly heat to help her digest her food. Check out Ebay; they often sell it at a good price with very low shipping cost.

Aliza

LizardMomma

This is penny. She loves crickets the most and the occasional mealworms so far.. if the cricket seems to big I hold it with tongs and feed her that way.

Attachments

• 3AC7F29A-71ED-42AB-929D-D1535237035C.jpeg
    3AC7F29A-71ED-42AB-929D-D1535237035C.jpeg
    31.3 KB · Views: 4

LizardMomma

Although I think the crickets I got from the nursery today are way to big to feed her I’m afraid of choking.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
She looks very good and well proportioned. I was feeding adult sized crickets to my hatchlings who were about that size with no problems.

Aliza

LizardMomma

I just fed her a big one and she looked like she was struggling a bit. I think I’ll stick to small crickets and wax worms.. also she does this weird thing like she’s trying to reach her back legs with her head.. stretching possibly?

LizardMomma

After dinner her tummy was a bit buldging so maybe I over fed her. I read to feed her as many crickets as she can eat in a 15 min time frame but I usually stop after like 8 crickets

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's not uncommon with a new pet to notice every tiny thing and to worry about it. These are very hardy animals. They can handle a lot. If a leopard gecko eats too much it usually throws up. This is not a stomach bug, just the gecko's way of getting rid of too much food. I don't know you at all, but some people also are very anxious in general. I recommend you keep providing the good care you've been giving to this gecko and enjoy the times when it's active and walking around the tank (some leopard geckos, though, are incredibly lazy). Keep notes, if you want, about its behavior and you will soon come to recognize things in its routine that are normal for this particular gecko.

Aliza

LizardMomma

Thank you so much for putting up with all my questions I’m glad I joined here. I am a bit anxious I will just relax and take it one day at a time. It does seem pretty happy with me.

Attachments

• 24C9CAAC-3F59-40C3-A38A-40DD364D8E8E.jpeg
    24C9CAAC-3F59-40C3-A38A-40DD364D8E8E.jpeg
    924.7 KB · Views: 4

Spikeymonkey325

Hi. Glad you’re enjoying your new friend. Do you have moistened moss inside the hide? My guys love it with moss inside. Also, I found those drawer liner sheets (not the sticky bottom ones) are very easy to cut to size and clean and their nails don’t get stuck in it.

LizardMomma

Hi. Glad you’re enjoying your new friend. Do you have moistened moss inside the hide? My guys love it with moss inside. Also, I found those drawer liner sheets (not the sticky bottom ones) are very easy to cut to size and clean and their nails don’t get stuck in it.
I do with sphagum (not sure I spelt it right) moss and I wet it down every night while it’s feeding. I’ve only had it for about 1 week and 1 /2 I think and I’ve trained it to get on my hand so I can more it to a separate tank for feeding. Then when’s it’s done I give it a few to settle the food, while that’s happening I clean the tank, water bowl and spray the moss under the hide. It seems pretty content so far. And then I move it back to its tank for the night after holding it for a few. As for the liner sheets I use the tank carpet stuff. Seems to be fine I just cut it to the size of my tank and wash it weekly so far but spot clean it daily.

Visit our friends