New to geckos

S

Subbie racer

so today i was in pet.co and they were having a sale on these guys (normally i deal with snakes but mom scared ***** of them so i sold them) so i picked one up for $20. i have the basic, tank, hide away, 2 small bowls food/water, but my question is, would she be fine with the heat lamp? i dont have a UTH right now since i gave it to a friend awhile ago for his geckos, right now shes housed in a 55 gallon pet.co tank (the one with the slide in lid) my friend said shes a Lavender/Albino, i took pics but they came out ****** so i'll take some more tomorrow in the sun and hopefully wont get that blurry effect again

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Subbie racer

katethegecko004.jpg

not the best pic

Yes you can use a heat lamp. I am use a heat lamp and have had no problems. That tank is to big for her though. Maybe make a divider so that see has a tough time finding food.

A larger area can stress them out. You only need 10gal for one gecko.

bman123

It is a very nice looking leopard gecko but please put it in a smaller tank. A 55gallon is a bit rediculous for a adult leopard gecko let alone a small one like yours.
I keep my adult male in a 20 long and he has plenty of room.

Last edited:

bman123

Get a smaller tank like a 10gallon they are only $10new at the pet store and get a uth for it. You also need calcium powder in a dish inside the tank all the time so it can eat the calcium when it needs to.
You should have a hide on the hot side a hide on the cool side and a humid hide to help it shed. I highly recommend you google leopard gecko caresheet and read it like twenty times. You need a digital thermometer to keep track of your temps.

OhioGecko

Mod Squad Member
Welcome to GF!

It looks like your gecko has plenty of space. You can definately add some hides and additional take decorations over time. Paper towel centers, upside down deli containers with holes in them, etc....

I would definately get UTH when you get the money. It is easier for cage maitenance and will be less likely to stress the gecko. I don't use lights on our display cages and the geckos are very sociable and are out of their hides a lot. You want the hot spot in your cage to be around 92-95 degrees on the floor.

Here is a link to our caresheet for leopard geckos: http://www.ohiogecko.com/index.php/care-sheets-mainmenu-35/leopard-gecko-care-sheet.html

S

Subbie racer

thanks guys, but right now shes gonna have to deal with the 55 gallon tank since its all i have, as for money im on disability so i only get $470 a month but thanks to bank of America i only got $375 this month cause they messed up and charged me $95 in over draft fees, i wanna make something outta styrofoam to fill in half of the tank, i plan to get another gecko one day =] as for calcium, shes getting it, my friend breeds mealworms and Beatles so i get food for free

bman123

Have you thought about selling your 55gallon tank on craigslist? If your in the us that's what I would do. Sell the 55gallon for $80 or so go get a 20 long for like $25 and a lid for $10 then youd have cash left buy a uth for $20 and you'd still have money left. Then you could buy whatever decorations or hides that you want.

You could even trade your 55 for a smaller tank plus cash. I'm sure someone in your area would like to trade for a bigger tank,

S

Subbie racer

my 55 has been up there for the past month, im asking $50 and ppl turn around offering 35 for it

S

Subbie racer

gecko003.jpg

gecko001.jpg

gecko002.jpg

sorry for posting the pics late but was in a crash last week, totaled my car since some old fart slammed on their brakes at a green light and i tried to stop but my brakes locked up and slid into the back of the suv
crash1.png

so had other things on my mind :/

VampyricAngelX

I don't really have anything else to add on the care info others have posted but I did want to say something. I have an single adult leopard gecko living in a 55 gallon tank and he's doing just fine. Actually, he seems to enjoy his space, uses every bit of the tank and has never had an issue finding food, water, calcium, etc. I do agree that for time being a smaller tank might be better since she's a bit younger.

Adorable gecko though :)

S

Subbie racer

my friend just lent me his 10 gallon since his gecko died yesterday

Visit our friends