P. grandis, Now What?

sunfighter

I was a tropical fish breeder for over 50 years, so when I sold my house, moved into a condo, and downsized from 50 aquariums to 3 vivariums I fell into my old habit of buying trios. I automaticly thought in terms of breeding even tho in hindsight I should have bought only one P. grandis and kept it as a pet. So now I have a trio in a large vivarium and doing very well, maybe a little overweight. There are 4 bamboo tubes and each gecko has one to sleep in. I suppose they'll lay eggs but I won't be able to find them or retrieve them if I do. Damn, what was I thinking?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Be on the alert for hatchling P. grandis running around and try to get them into separate enclosures. Hope that there are other people who want to buy some for you! Good luck.
(It could be worse: they could be guppies!)

Aliza

sunfighter

I think I have a better chance if I can provide egg laying sites that they would find attractive and that could check. They each have a sleeping spot inside one of the four bamboo tubes, leaving one tube unoccupied. I think that they won't want to lay eggs in their sleeping spot. I'm thinking about getting a cork tube and laying it down on the bottom. I could check that easily enough. This assumes that I will notice a gravid female and notice when she lays her eggs. I don't know how obvious the signs are since they only lay a couple at a time. This enclosure is heavily planted.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Some people have taped florist tubes onto the sides of the enclosure and have had their day geckos successfully lay them there. I think it would be a good idea to google "breeding P. grandis" if you haven't already. Here's a Gecko Time article about P. grandis. I'm providing it primarily because to the best of my knowledge the 3 keepers are still involved with geckos and could be a good resource if you can contact them (try their emails and also look for them on facebook).

Aliza

Visit our friends