Partially Blind leopard Gecko with Normal Gecko

Envymysin201

Hi everyone!
I am not certain if my gecko is even blind but she is not as responsive to meals until I tap her face with a cricket or meal worm which has me concerned she is partially blind. But besides that point I was wondering as she lives with her sister, but my friend is telling me that it is not okay to house them together. Although I have not seen any aggression between the two at all. Peach’s is the name of the blind one and kiwi is the none blind. But I do not believe she is completely blind as she does respond to my hand moving around above her.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Here are some indications that they shouldn't be housed together: one keeps following the other around sitting on her; one is losing weight; one has scratch marks or bite marks on her.
If you're making sure that the one that doesn't see well is getting enough to eat and you're not seeing any of the signs listed above, they're probably fine together.

Aliza

I have had my gecko since April and I was told that leopard geckos are solitary and should not be kept in the same tank at all. Behaviors that seem friendly or regular, such as 'cuddling' or walking around each other, often are predatory and the stress of living with a partner can cause one or both geckos to have health problems. Sometimes they are fine to live with each other for a long while and then something bad happens. This is just what I was told when I was looking to get a friend for my gecko, but i'm not an expert!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
They are generally solitary and don't need each other for company. That said, I do keep some of mine in small groupings and I have backup enclosures in case it doesn't work out. As my reptile population slowly diminishes, I've been able to have more and more of them by themselves in cages.

Aliza

Visit our friends