Petco buyers asking for gecko advice

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
Ok, this is the story. A girl that I worked with had bought 4 geckos from me in the past, She lost/killed 2 of them somehow :main_angry: which really makes me mad because her reasons for the geckos dying were suspicious, she said she found them dead with Bed-A-Beast sticking out of their mouth, one was a Crested and one was a Leopard Gecko. Never heard of a Gecko dying from Bed-A-Beast, never mind 2!

Anyway, she was recently fired from her job (YEAH!, She was the biggest slacker there could ever be, we didn't get along much at work due to her unprofessional manner) and now her friend bought 3 baby geckos from Petco. Now, she is emailing me to get info on how to take care of the baby geckos.

First off, I am mad that they bought 3 baby geckos from Petco, I told her that wasn't a good idea, because of many reasons, 1; Health issues and 2: When they grow up there may be more than 1 male. She said they will take their chances.

Then she emails me trying to find out what to put them in, what size food bowls, etc. I just emailed her back and told her to get the same things for the baby geckos as for her adult geckos, just smaller versions.

Now, she is emailing me asking where to find mealworms for the geckos, and this is about 2 weeks after they bought the geckos, what were they feeding them for the past 2 weeks I wonder.

So, here is my dilemma. I don't like this girl to begin with, she has a history of not taking care of her geckos WITH my advice. She and her friend went to Petco to buy geckos instead of buying them from a breeder, and now she wants me to explain to her and her friend how to take care of them. I want to say to her "Go ask Petco since that is where you bought them" , but part of me feels bad for the geckos. BUT, I had told her many times before NOT to buy from Petco and told her why. So, she new what she was getting into.

What would you do?

D

DontShootMe

Send them a caresheet and start ignoring here e-mails after that. If you want to confront her tell her straight out (I mean you don't like her so it really wouldn't matter) Don't tell her your suspicions of why the 2 died, but just straight out tell her everything u said from First off minus the couple lines that can be excluded just what ticked u off. I know your a nice person but hey in order for people to listen you have to be an ass sometimes. Also don't even try telling her in a nice way tell her flat out and lay down the line.

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
Oh, she knows I don't like her, we had it out a couple of times, actually, we got along outside of work the few times we hung out, but after a while, she aggravated me too much in work that the thought of hanging out after work made me want to cringe. She already has my caresheet, I gave it to her a while ago. I just think she doesn't want to have to read it, she just figures that she can email me and I will tell her how to do it instead of her putting any effort into it.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
LOL...send her one more copy and tell her to give it to her friend, and cut her loose. You can't MAKE her read it, but at least you've given her the info needed. Or, offer to talk to the friend so they can hear first hand about buying from petco. Chances are, the friend never heard a thing about buying from there.

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
Grinning Geckos said:
LOL...send her one more copy and tell her to give it to her friend, and cut her loose. You can't MAKE her read it, but at least you've given her the info needed. Or, offer to talk to the friend so they can hear first hand about buying from petco. Chances are, the friend never heard a thing about buying from there.

I know what her friends are like, in and out of jail for STUPID things, like telling off cops for pulling them over for speeding, so I am quite sure I don't even want to talk to them. :main_thumbsdown:

I am just going to email her and say that she bought them from Petco, so aske Petco her questions

D

DontShootMe

yeah, you know what you may feel bad for the geckos and quite honestly you really can't do much about it besides go there steal the geckos for yourself. Giving the caresheet is the best you can do IMO. I wouldn't even waste time coaching her because if you told her before chances are it will be in one ear and out the other again.

T

Tokays_Unlimited

As sad as it is Petco sells reptiles and DUMB people buy reptiles.The only thing you can do as someone who cares for the animals is try to encourage them in the right direction.If they dont wanna listen,well feel bad for the Gecko's,but there are alot of people out there who are impulse buyers and complete morons.Aside from you telling her the proper care, there are about how many care sheets out there for Leo's? Weather they are genaric or in depth there are still plenty,and the fact that this girl seems to be ignorant is definatly there.
But on another note you could just take a 410 to her house blow the door down and grab the gecko's or read them the care sheet reeeeeaaallll slow and loud so they can understand you.Might sink in with a gun to there face:main_evilgrin:

brandy101010

Tokays_Unlimited said:
As sad as it is Petco sells reptiles and DUMB people buy reptiles.The only thing you can do as someone who cares for the animals is try to encourage them in the right direction.If they dont wanna listen,well feel bad for the Gecko's,but there are alot of people out there who are impulse buyers and complete morons.Aside from you telling her the proper care, there are about how many care sheets out there for Leo's? Weather they are genaric or in depth there are still plenty,and the fact that this girl seems to be ignorant is definatly there.
But on another note you could just take a 410 to her house blow the door down and grab the gecko's or read them the care sheet reeeeeaaallll slow and loud so they can understand you.Might sink in with a gun to there face:main_evilgrin:

LOL I wouldn't want to make you mad!

But if you already told her how to care for them there is not much else you can do. just tell them if they are not going to take your advice ,why do they keep asking? and just stop answering there emails.

robin

i see it like this... i may not care about the person or that they obtained their geckos from petco or whatever however i do care for the walfare of the geckos there are so many people out there against reptiles, i figure it best to educate as best i can, the person asking the advice. not because of them but rather the geckos and the reptile comunity as a whole. one thing i learned long ago, from kelli, treat others as you would wanted to be treated. as a customer, as a breeder, as a buyer or as someone looking for information. i say give it to them, if they do not follow it, it is not your fault but you cant say you didnt try

N

nora

you can always email her your caresheet everytime she emails you for help..that should get the point across... if not just tell her "Look... all of the info is in that caresheet and there should be no reason why you have to keep emailing me unless the geckos are extremely ill for some reason or another..."
and if she keeps bugging you then tell her to give you her friend's email and you will help the friend directly rather than having to relay messages back and forth.

it sounds like this girl is an obvious idiot and hasnt heard of Google yet.. =/

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
I would e-mail them the caresheet. Either you type out a whole answer, or you copy and paste the caresheet. Either way, it's an e-mail... and she will have to read it...right? :)

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
Just as I thought. She took me answering her question, as an invitation to email me crap.

Yesterday she sends me junk mail and today she includes me in a mass email about her being pregnant (she is 22, no job, she didn't have a boyfriend 2 months ago, so the father has to be a new guy)

So, I emailed her back saying:

"Please don't send me any more emails, sorry, but I don't need to know whats going on in your life, and I think that the fact that you are pregnant is not a good thing"

And, here is her reply

"well ya it is whateva i dont need u pce "

:main_huh:

Visit our friends