Playpen or temporary/travel tent

MUD

Has anyone considered using a portable playpen (fully enclosed like the one linked below) for temporary housing while cleaning a terrarium?
Also, my gecko likes to investigate and go anywhere possible so I'm looking for more options to allow additional safe spaces for changing up the environment.

I was also thinking it would work as an emergency housing if we needed to travel - overnight in plastic secured container but allow out in this during day for additional room.

X-ZONE PET Portable Foldable Pet Dog Cat Playpen Crate... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081W4RPBD/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Attachments

• 512uLaAEKDL._AC_SY580_.jpg
    512uLaAEKDL._AC_SY580_.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I know someone who set up a kiddie pool (without the water) as a gecko playground. It should be fine. Back when I didn't have so many geckos,I would pull the couch cushions forward and let my gecko explore the bed of the cough behind the cushions. That was always appreciated. Also, if you have carpeted stairs, you can put your gecko there and let it climb up and down.

Aliza

Reactions: MUD

MUD

I know someone who set up a kiddie pool (without the water) as a gecko playground. It should be fine. Back when I didn't have so many geckos,I would pull the couch cushions forward and let my gecko explore the bed of the cough behind the cushions. That was always appreciated. Also, if you have carpeted stairs, you can put your gecko there and let it climb up and down.

Aliza
I have tons of stairs - what a great idea! My daughter asked about putting up a tent in the spare room with lots of safe climbing options and different textures for her. If we try it this weekend I'll post how it goes.

AndyBunn

I have used a cardboard box and the cardboard packaging for this purpose. I cut a few holes in parts and Carrot seems to like exploring whilst I get on with cleaning duties.

MUD

Ok, I've become excited by the playpen idea for enrichment. Do you think it would be helpful to have a heat mat in it? When my little gecko is out she often "pancakes" or flattens out on us to warm (or this is what I think she is doing).

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It wouldn't hurt (though I think they can do fine with lower temperatures for short periods of time) but if it's going under a plastic or cardboard structure you need a thermostat. Alternatively, you can use a heat lamp to give her a basking experience.

Aliza

Visit our friends