Pooping where she sleeps...

Ghostoftangerine17

ヒョウモントカゲモドキ
Was wondering if any of you have advice for moving the spot where a leo defecates. Dango has taken up pooping in one of her hides and I've tried moving it to both the warm and cool sides and also not changing the paper towel when doing that in hopes that even when the hide was gone she'd still use the spot she'd marked out. No such luck so far...

Also tried switching the hide to a different one but she pooped there too.

I don't want my poor baby sleeping in filth:bigcry:

ericssonfan81

At first I tried doing the same thing as you and move stuff around. I couldn't get the gecko to poop where I wanted to so I just settled with placing a litter box where it usually goes.
It sucks that your gecko sleeps in the same spot though, mine would just poop in the hide and never hang out in there.

cassicat4

I have a cave gecko that does the same. I find you just have to check their bathroom spot often, and spot clean as soon as you notice anything. I can't see it causing health problems unless you were to leave the poop in there long-term for whatever reason. It's just more gross than anything.

B&B Geckos

I have had a couple that poop in their food dish and switching to a smaller food dish andits location worked. Perhaps changing the location and type/size of hide will work as well. Good luck!

Last edited:

ericssonfan81

Yea I've been having trouble conditioning them. I gather and leave 3 droppings in the litter box and place it where I want gecko to poop and it always goes back to the same place. I then have to disinfect that area completely every time to get rid of the scent so it doesn't try to go back. So I just decided to place the litter box where it goes and build around that. Needless to say, I now have an expensive tree hide that is nothing more than a litter box. Silly gecko wants to poop in privacy. lol

Kylerbassman

Unfortunately they all seem to have there corks. Both mine use there literbox pretty much all the time now, but my male will start pooping next to it if there are a few poops in there. He's picky. My female will wait until night to go because she feels safer. Maybe your Leo is stressed over something. It may be nothing, but maybe use something to give your Leo a little cover over the literbox and from the hide he/she normally uses. Like you said, your Leo might like the privacy.

Visit our friends