Poor girl :(

cslinca

So my son asked me to come to his science class to check on their gecko "peek a boo". The teacher had let a kid take the gecko home for the summer.
THis is what I found :( Teacher said she came back like this, that they said they tried to feed her worms and she wouldnt eat. Teacher did a fecal and was all clear. Obviously they did not feed her all summer :main_no: I mean honestly how could you not feed her. Background is last year I had to peel off shed that was stuck and bound on her feet poor girl but at least she was fatter then. P.s. I did offer to take her for the summer but teacher had promised andother kid :main_huh:
Good news Peek a boo is home with me now and eating like a piggy :)
Hopeing she pulls thru ok

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

LizMarie

Aww I remember a thread you posted about the stuck shed that she almost lost a foot. I bet she'll pull through with those roaches, wax worms and a little TLC.

Questions where did you get your dishes? Both the one with the lid and the clear ones, especially the clear ones.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Poor girl had a rough life, she is so thin I can see her spine! :(
I think the teacher needs to talk to the family that volunteered to take her home for summer. At least the class needs an explanation of why they didn't feed her! Poor thing!

cslinca

Ok so yea shes doing great eating her dubias waxies even crix today. Im moxing it up for her to try get her fatty. She did loose all her toes on her back feet and she has some stuck she right now but Im afraid to handle her too much till she gains a bit. Shes so frail. Ill get the shed off her feet again in a day or two.

The dishes :) I got the worm dish from lllreptile for like 65 cents or something, got a few of them theyre great escape proof. The glass one cam from pier one imports for 50 cents its a votive candle holder I think they have them at walmart too.

mainelygeckos

What a sad lil leo :( Glad she is getting everything she needs now. good luck with her I hope she gets super fat with you! :D

MichaelJ

CelebrityGeckos.Com
I'm glad you posted this because we adopt out a lot of our rescues to teachers for their classroom pets... and it never occurred to me what their plans were to care for the gecko over the summer months. I'm in touch with all of our teachers and I know they take their leos home with them, so we've been fortunate... but I will be sure to cover that point for any future adoptions. I wouldn't want our rescues going home with a kid for the summer and starving to death!

Thank goodness she is in your care now! Poor thing! I'm sure she'll fatten up soon. She's probably so relieved to have a food source. Dubias will get her on track quickly. Good luck!

L-G-C

More than just leos now
Wow. I took home my teachers leopard gecko and loved it! I fed Iggy every day and held. Iggy convinced my mom to let me have leopard geckos in the first place. I can't see how someone could let this happen! Please keep us updated!

cslinca

Thanks, I will keep udates. So far she has ben eating great :) she is very alert for such a skinny frail thing. She attacks those bugs like a pro. I think shes a strong girl and will pull through.
I dont understand how she could let a student take her home, this girl had problems with shed and lost her back toes so she wasnt 100% to begin with. Not not healthy but I def wouldnt have sent her home with someone inexperienced. specially bc I offered to take her.

greedo11

I think the family need to explain themselves, ok some kids have a short attention span and forget what a responsibility a living creature is ( not excusing the kids behavior but its a sad fact) but where were mum and dad??
My mum and dad where never as animal mad as I was but I was taught from a young age to respect animals.
If the food was too expensive they should have passed the gecko on to someone who was willing to care for it!!!
Grrrr!!! :main_angry:
Hope Peek a boo grows huuuuuge im looking forward to the updates xx

suz830

I think this is a prime example of why teachers shouldn't have reptiles as classroom pets... I have heard stories like this with beardies too... some of the teachers think they are cool and do not even know how to care for them themselves.

I my first grade teacher (she was my favorite) Mrs. Wilson, she had a tarantula and a snake... it seems we had to get a permission slip signed so we could watch the snake eat mice, but I am assuming she took them home over the summer and knew how to care for them.
She reminds me of Mrs. Frizzle from the magic school bus!

F

fikken

Wow... yet another reason why most children should not care for such animals. the rear legs, along the spine and the tail are very telling of how poorly taken care of this gecko was. i had adopted my geckos from a family where children were neglecting to care for the geckos but they weren't this bad. looks like its missing some toes in the back, best of luck to peek a boo in getting better and good thing you are caring for it now.

Visit our friends