Possible metabolic bone disease or other?

Zacpierre

B2216BB9-DB1E-4ACC-9911-11BDEDB508A8.jpeg 8E56A58B-AF3A-4A50-BD1D-33D45FCC67CC.jpeg C58EEA16-FCC1-4481-B7E6-00E6F078DD62.jpeg I putchased a Tremper albino Mack snow juvenile at a reptile show yesterday and upon further looking today the spine seems crooked, or possibly stomach is distended on one side. Is this something to worry about? Pics attached.

Thanks in advance,

Z

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I see what you mean. I hatched a gecko once that had some kind of progressive scoliosis. I didn't notice anything when it hatched, but eventually I noticed it. It's possible that the seller didn't notice it (it's subtle) and if you know who you got it from, you should send some pictures to let them know. I don't know if it will make any difference, but a reputable breeder needs to know things like that. There's nothing to be done except keep an eye on it. I don't think it's MBD because the gecko is walking well up on its feet and the legs aren't bowed.

Aliza

Zacpierre

Thanks for the reply. Is this something that will affect quality of life? Or if I choose to breed I the future could it be passed down to offspring?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't think there's any way to know whether it's genetic or just the "luck of the draw" with this gecko. You'll have to keep an eye on it as it matures. If the kink continues to get worse, I would imagine there would be a greater risk of egg binding if it's a female due to the arrangement of the internal organs around the kinked spine. If it's a male it would obviously be safer to breed him

Aliza

Visit our friends