Possibly Sick Gecko??

xoxokcp

Hi all,
Im new to this site but i joined in a more urgent manner. I went to Petco today to get some meal worms for my leopard gecko when i saw this:

is this just a gecko with some kind of morph? it didn’t look like shedding at all and i’m not sure if this gecko is sick or not. if not, would you ever suggest 2 geckos living in the same enclosure? and what size enclosure is good for 2 geckos?

*if this gecko is sick and still there tomorrow, i will get it help because it’s at my work.

thank you for your time and help <33

Attachments

• B6AEED77-5CF5-45DB-AE5E-076D93E8751D.jpeg
    B6AEED77-5CF5-45DB-AE5E-076D93E8751D.jpeg
    427.8 KB · Views: 7

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I believe what you're seeing is a gecko that's getting ready to shed (maybe in a day or so) but not actively shedding. It's also sleeping because it's probably day time. Some people feel very strongly that leopard geckos should only be housed individually. Others do house them in small groups. I am one of those people that do house my geckos in small groups. I use the following considerations:
--only females together (unless I'm breeding, which I'm not doing anymore)
--any new gecko needs at least a month quarantine from all other geckos and ideally should have a test for cryptosporidiosis before introducing it to another gecko
--minimum enclosure size for 2 geckos is 20 gallon long. I also add a 12x12" second level using PVC pipe and ceramic tile which I heat with a mini UTH; Larger enclosure always appreciated
--backup enclosure is needed in case the geckos don't get along. This hasn't happened often, but has happened every now and then

Please think really carefully in general before bringing home a sick gecko (and I don't think this one is sick) if you own other geckos. Not only may you get into a sad situation of watching a gecko die, you may also end up infecting your other gecko(s), even if they're not in the same cage and then you'll have to watch multiple geckos die.

Aliza

Visit our friends