Powdered Fruit Recipe?

CagedApe

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone knows a recipe with powdered fruit that contain vitamins and dried fly larvae. Is it just that easy? What would be the ratio vitamin:media? I've just read a blurp about 1 tsp:1 cup.... Any idea? What type of vitamin? Could I use Rep-Cal for reptiles and amphibians? I'm probably forgetting something... Any help would be great! Thank you!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
So I'm wondering why you'd want to make your own when there's already a product available that meets all your requirements. I do know that some people like to make their own anyway and I don't really have much information about exactly how much of each of the things you mentioned you would need to include, which is why I was suggesting that you buy a product where this has already been figured out. It's up to you, though.
As far as this being for a gecko in general, some geckos (like leopard geckos) don't eat fruit and some do, so it does matter what kind of gecko it is.

Aliza

CagedApe

So I'm wondering why you'd want to make your own when there's already a product available that meets all your requirements. I do know that some people like to make their own anyway and I don't really have much information about exactly how much of each of the things you mentioned you would need to include, which is why I was suggesting that you buy a product where this has already been figured out. It's up to you, though.
As far as this being for a gecko in general, some geckos (like leopard geckos) don't eat fruit and some do, so it does matter what kind of gecko it is.

Aliza
Yes for fruit eating geckos obviously. Rep-Cal actually has ingredient instructions I have found. Maybe I don't want milk whey fed to my gecko. Has anyone ever thought of that? Geckos don't eat cow milk‍♂️Seems to be in the top 5 ingredients of commercial foods. Just a thought. I think vitamins/minerals/mealworm protien would be enough for a gecko. Flax seed is another thing that's in commercial food. That's not in the wild. See, Its nothing special to make food for yourself. I make fly cultures and use real boiled potato. No body does that. Maybe I'm just different and just want to get to the root of everything

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think it's fine to make your own food. I wonder if you mixed up a reasonable fruit puree and then added some calcium and vitamin D3 supplement to each serving if that would work. When I first started keeping day geckos, I was following the advice of Leann Christensen (daygecko.com) and feeding my gold dust day gecko baby food fruit puree with added supplements and she lived for 12 years. Now I'm using Pangea CGD for all the day geckos and the other fruit eating geckos and everyone is thriving (my oldest crested gecko is 18).

Aliza

Visit our friends