problem male

Star1

One of my male leopard geckos won't breed. He's been with females on and off season (one of my girls breeds in the fall for some reason). He hides with them, shares food, and even tries to protect them from me but won't breed. The temperatures are between 87-89 and 70-72. 3 dry hides, 1 humid. I had 2 hot and 2 cold hides in case they didn't want to be together but they never used one of the hot ones so I took it out. He had 2-3 months alone after I tried with the first female (wasn't ovulating, but I was told they can start when put with a male) then with the second she was ovulating. The first time was the first female he'd been with. He's about 18 months old. Trying to get all the info to avoid all the simple questions about temperatures and stuff. Feel free to ask if I missed something :)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Are the temperatures you list in the air or on the floor. If on the floor, 87-89 is a bit too cool; low 90's would be best. If it's the air temp, and you're using an under tank heater, floor temp may be too hot. Are you basing the "not breeding" on not having seen him mating? I had a male that I never saw mate, but he produced lots of healthy babies. He may be matng when you're not watching. If the issue is that you aren't getting any eggs, it may be because, as you say, he's not mating. It may also be that he's not fertile or the female isn't. The only things I can suggest is to leave him in with the female and check her regularly, or try another male (or another female.). Good luck.

Aliza

Star1

That's the floor temperature so I'll turn it up a little, I always thought that was the correct range. I'm basing "not breeding" on I haven't gotten eggs, the first time he was with a female from June to August and she never laid eggs. The second time he was with a different female from October to December. She was ovulating when they were put together in October. One female has bred before and one hasn't. My other males are very eager when they're with females so it could be that he's not fertile.

Visit our friends