Proud of your enclosure

Bubbles

I saw this on a different fourm and I thought it was a cool idea so I made one here. it is a place to post your pets enclosures and receive or give criticism/ get inspiration. Be sure that if you post your enclosures that you are open to any advice/ criticism and but sure to give the criticism in a nice and responsible way. If this is already a thing just let me know and I can take this down. :)

AndyBunn

Hi
This is Carrots home. He's about 21 months old. It's had a lot of changes that are hopefully for the better.

What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_20210815_152209.jpg
    IMG_20210815_152209.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20210815_152438.jpg
    IMG_20210815_152438.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20210815_152147.jpg
    IMG_20210815_152147.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 36

Alhana

I don't think I'd say I'm proud of it, but I'm hoping to get some feedback so here it goes. Some backstory, we think the leopard gecko is about 7 years old. He was originally left on the floor of a Petsmart and taken home by an employee who has had him for about 5 years. He was moving and asked if I knew someone who would take the gecko in, so I agreed to. The first picture is how he came to me although originally he only had the one stone hide. His previous owner gave me a tote with other things in it and that is where the log hide came from. I just added the bioactive arid substrate today on half of the cage and tried to find something to create a humid hide (hence the pipe). Are the hides possibly too large or too many? Do leopard geckos need a lot of flat space?

Attachments

• Larry tank before.jpg
    Larry tank before.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 15
  • 258494879_953475322273215_5742443402626679908_n.jpg
    258494879_953475322273215_5742443402626679908_n.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 15

AndyBunn

Weldone Alhana for taking the Leopard gecko on.
I like how you've used the drainage pipe for a moist hide. You could put some sphagnum moss inside the pipe for comfort and to raise the humidity.

Lots of bark for the gecko to explore, hide and exercise is really good. The deep heat lamp is great. It's also good that you've added some substrate as geckos like to dig.

The only downside is that the vivarium could be bigger. I'm not sure of the size of the one you have from the photos but a 20 gallon is best. This gives the gecko lots of room to run around and explore.

You could also try putting in some plants, fake or real. My gecko loves to climb over them and rest under them.

You should be proud. My set up has changed lots since I first did it. Its a learning process and it's fun to change it up and see what works best for your gecko and you.

Tankadviceplease

Hello!recently I took this leapord gecko off my cousins hands she was horribly taken care of and is skinny I don’t know the first thing about owning a leapord gecko so I was hoping I could get advice on the tank I’ve set up for her here!she has two lights for heat and a side that is cold 5BD0E6EF-D45D-4AE0-B97B-4268134BC562.jpeg 1AC23591-F977-41D5-8880-754FDE19754D.jpeg 25ADDB0A-70EE-4C83-82E0-7934BC479799.jpeg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Looks pretty good. What size is the tank? Most people use an under tank heater with a thermostat so the floor of the enclosure can be in the low 90's all the time. Zoomed makes a relatively inexpensive one and Zilla makes an inexpensive thermostat. I like to use Zoomed heat cable because it can be removed and installed somewhere else if necessary.

Aliza

Tankadviceplease

Thank you for responding! I think it’s a 30 or 40 gallon tank I’m saving up to get her a heating pad so thank you for telling me some brands.Is the set up on its own good for her? She’s around 9 years old and I’m working on fattening up her tail with some super worms since she wasn’t fed too good before me.am I doing good or is there anything else I should do? Her name is peppa and she’s so sweet!!

Tankadviceplease

It looks pretty good in general because there are lots of places for her to explore!

Aliza
Hello I was wondering if you could give me more advice:)
I got around to weighing her,she’s 40 grams and has a skinny tail but not skinny to the point it’s worrisome I’ve been giving her a mix of wax worms and super worms to add variety but noticed she doesn’t like to hunt them like in videos I see I usually have to open up her mouth a bit to get her to eat them
Is this normal?
Could she just me aclimating to her new tank and that’s why she’s doing this
She’s good when I hold her and is very active I’m just worried:)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
i have leopard geckos who are ferocious hunters, geckos who like the feeder to be placed in front of them and geckos who need me to hold them and push the feeder against their mouths. So you can see that there's a normal range. If you just push the feeder against her mouth will she eat it? If you have to physically open her mouth I'd say that's a little worrisome, but not yet a huge deal. You may not want to deal with crickets, but consider trying a few to see if she'll be more interested in chasing them down. It may be worth it to make an appointment with a reptile vet to have her checked for the common parasites and for cryptosporidiosis (a less common protozoan parasite) just in case.

Aliza

Tankadviceplease

i have leopard geckos who are ferocious hunters, geckos who like the feeder to be placed in front of them and geckos who need me to hold them and push the feeder against their mouths. So you can see that there's a normal range. If you just push the feeder against her mouth will she eat it? If you have to physically open her mouth I'd say that's a little worrisome, but not yet a huge deal. You may not want to deal with crickets, but consider trying a few to see if she'll be more interested in chasing them down. It may be worth it to make an appointment with a reptile vet to have her checked for the common parasites and for cryptosporidiosis (a less common protozoan parasite) just in case.

Aliza
I just have to push it against her mouth and she’ll eat it herself! She only eats about 1 or 2 a day is that normal?since I’m trying to get her to gain I thought it would be better:)

Tankadviceplease

Thanks for the advice she’s 40g right now (hoping that’s not too bad) should I feed her a day and then not the next?
I’ve been trying to feed her everyday but maybe she’s getting full and I’m over here worrying

Tankadviceplease

If you can get her to eat a few every day, hopefully she'll gradually start to eat more.

Aliza
I have amazing news!!
She’s starting to hunt her food!!just now she ate 4 worms,2 super and 2 wax worms and is even starting to explore the warm side of her tank!!I can also see her tail starting to fatten up a bit and her arms too if she continues like this should I introduce more food options to her and if yes what ones would you recommend!:)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The easiest to get are crickets and dubia roaches (if they're allowed where you live). If you can get silkworms they're pretty cool and very high in calcium. Check out hornworms as well.

Aliza

Tankadviceplease

The easiest to get are crickets and dubia roaches (if they're allowed where you live). If you can get silkworms they're pretty cool and very high in calcium. Check out hornworms as well.

Aliza
Hello!i did that shes been loving it and even ganed some weight! I’ve noticed she’s not eating the rest of her bugs and just wants the wax worms (I only put 3) she’ll leave the other bugs there so i change them out and again only wax worms any advice?

Visit our friends