Question about UVB

KatieG

Does anyone know the uvb requirements for a west indian leopard gecko? It's hard to find actual info for my new little baby that was gifted to me today.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It should be the same as for a leopard gecko. These nocturnal geckos can easily be maintained with calcium and vitamin D3 supplementation or you can use one of the deep heating bulbs that Arcadia makes. I go the supplementation route with my leopard geckos and don't provide UVB lighting and they are fine.

Aliza

KatieG

Thank you. I kinda thought that too. I read that you provide uvb when ur breeding them.which made me wonder why you wouldn't provide at least a shade dwelling uvb all the time then? I wasn't planning on a new gecko but I'm so glad this little one landed in my care. I just want to make sure everything is right for the little critter. Not sure if it's male or female yet.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I bred geckos for 13 years and never used UVB for them. That doesn't mean you can't, but I don't think it's essential. Enjoy your new gecko.

Aliza

KatieG

Does this look like shedding damage? The person that gave him to me didn't have a humid hide or high enough humidity in his tank.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240306_175111_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240306_175111_Photos.jpg
    813.8 KB · Views: 1

Visit our friends