Questions about temperature during summer and lighting

Truman

Hello,
I am new to this group and a new owner of a leopard gecko. Now that the warm weather is here, I am confused about heating lamps.
When I had the heating lamp on the other day, I noticed the tank was getting to be too hot (approaching 100 degrees). Now, I don’t have any heating lamps or lights on his cage and it is staying at 80 degrees. I do have a heat rock in the cage, in case it gets colder at night.
Is this ok? Does he need a heat lamp on during summer or a light source near his cage or he is ok with natural sunlight in the room and no heat lamp during warm summer months?

Stryker

Hello,
I am new to this group and a new owner of a leopard gecko. Now that the warm weather is here, I am confused about heating lamps.
When I had the heating lamp on the other day, I noticed the tank was getting to be too hot (approaching 100 degrees). Now, I don’t have any heating lamps or lights on his cage and it is staying at 80 degrees. I do have a heat rock in the cage, in case it gets colder at night.
Is this ok? Does he need a heat lamp on during summer or a light source near his cage or he is ok with natural sunlight in the room and no heat lamp during warm summer months?
Hello,
I'm also new here but if I may suggest a heat pad with a temperature gauge https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E9IO6N0/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 something like that so if it gets too hot it will shut itself off

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
As mentioned above, the best heat source is the under tank heater (UTH) because it provides heat to one side, doesn't super-heat and dry out the air (as does a heat lamp) and provides a heat gradient. With a UTH I keep it on all year and the geckos go to the cool side if they get too hot
Heat lamp: I really think this will make the ambient temperature too hot and dry and in the long run dehydrate the gecko
Heat rock: if you mean one of those rocks that you plug in, this is not recommended. It's easy for the gecko to burn itself on the rock and not notice.

My best recommendation is to get ZooMed heat cable which you can tape to the bottom of the cage on the outside with Nashua (aluminum foil sticky) tape and then remove and put somewhere else if you change cages.

Aliza

asking questions

Hello,
You should probably just use a heat mat and a thermostat to control the heat mat this will have a heat gradient for your leo. You should probably have the heat mat at around 90 or 89 deggrees

Visit our friends