Queston about thermostat VS thermometer

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
OK I've read the links regarding why a thermostat is needed and I'm gonna get one (pretty sure), my question is this: If you have a thermostat do you also need a thermometer?

The thermostat will either turn on or off primary and secondary heat sources accodring to tank temp flux right? So say I have a UTH and an infrared bulb both on the thermostat it will turn on the bulb as needed to make up for heat the mat is lacking right?

And as long as I have your attention what about heat mat. I had decided on the cobra brand 6x11 7 watt for 10-20 gallon tanks (mine is a 20 long) but the room it's in stays kinda chilly (64) thru the winter and I was considering buumping the heat mat up to the 11x11 12 watt for the 30-40 gallon tank. Thoughts? Opinions?

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If your thermostat is a digital one with a digital readout, then it's likely that it will also serve as a reliable thermometer. Otherwise, a thermometer is used as a way to independently determine that the thermostat is maintaining the temperature you want. (for example, I have a thermometer with a probe inside the egg container in my incubator because I know that the readout on the incubator is not consistent with the temp inside the egg box and that it's differently inconsistent depending on the ambient temp). I've never used a thermostat that deals with primary and secondary heat sources but basically the thermostat will turn on or off to insure that the temperature where the probe is matches the temperature you set it for. Obviously, if your room is so hot that it's always higher than the temp you want or so cold that the UTH can't reach the desired temp even if it's on full-blast 24/7, then the thermostat (and the UTH) won't do any good. Upgrading to a larger heat mat and using a thermostat would likely provide you with the temperature you want over a larger amount of floor space and will also likely result in the thermostat working a bit harder to keep the temperature at the right level (which isn't a problem). As I've posted before, my ambient temps during the day in the winter is probably in the low 60's and I figure that the geckos will either spend their time in their warm hides (where the temp is considerably higher since the hide traps heat) or will slow down and eat less. So far it's all been fine.

Aliza

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
We use racks so I can't help you with the second part of your question. The short answer to the first part is that you should have both a thermostat and a thermometer. The thermostat will turn on and off to keep the temperature where you set it but there are freak instances where they have malfunctioned and a secondary thermometer is the only way you would know that your temperatures are climbing dangerously high.

Visit our friends