Quick question?

Coby78

I know everyone says "ambient temps don't matter, it's all about floor temps" But my house has been pretty cold this winter to save heat so it's been around 60-65 degrees. Leila stopped eating and has slowed down significantly; Last year when we had the heat on for winter, she was very active so I know it's not just the time of year.

What exactly is "too cold" for ambient temps? Should I get a lowish watt heat bulb to warm her up and get her back and active again?

Also I forgot to say, the floor temps are 92-96 on my probe thermometer. It usually changes based on the ambient temperatures since the probe is kind of crappy :p I'll use my rheostat to lower the floor temps if I do get a bulb so it doesn't get too hot.

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't think everyone says ambient temps don't matter, though I do. One of the nice things about keeping reptiles is that though there are broad care guidelines (e.g. supplement your geckos, don't keep a leopard gecko in a tank with a pond, etc) there is also room for variety and trying things out. Based on what you're saying, it makes sense to try warming up the ambient temp to see if your gecko gets more active. I've been OK with many of my adult geckos slowing down and virtually not eating, but you may be more comfortable and get better results for you with this experiment. I feel that either way is an OK way to go.

Aliza

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I believe ambient temperature does matter; I will turn on a heater in the gecko room when it falls below 72F. However, some geckos can still sense the change in weather by daylight hours or atmospheric pressure. Girls are more prone to stop eating over winter, as they could start ovulating at that time period.

Coby78

Alright, thank you, then. :) I'll go and get one tomorrow after work just to calm my nerves. I don't like the thought that she might be too cold even though the floor temps are fine.

Coby78

Ok just an update, she's really perked up because of the bulb so I'm definitely going to conclude that the air temps were too cold for her.

Visit our friends