Red Light

RedBlaze

So I purchased a moonlight bulb for nighttime viewing, however I can hardly see anything with it. I know you can also do red light bulbs for nighttime.

Can the red bulb be say a red "party light" from target or does it have to be a special red bulb?

geckogirl3

if you want heat you could use the red blue or purple heat bulbs that have a small glow to them.

LeopardShade

Spotted Shadow
I've been using this cheap little Zoo Med Red Reptile Bulb for almost two years, and I'm so genuinely shocked that it hasn't blown out yet. Though, I don't use it often anymore, only for the occasional nocturnal viewing.

Any red bulb will do.

rickmoss95

You can probably even spray-paint a normal light bulb ;)

Chrissy

not a good idea. the fumes would kill the geckos. and even after the paint is dried, it will still emit fumes. plus the red bulbs are probably cheaper than buying bulbs and paint anyways. just for viewing, you would only need about a 25 watt light bulb, and they are like six bucks....

NatalieS

I bought a red Zilla LED light for my guy, it was under $20 and puts out much more oomph than I expected. I really love it.

Pinky81

I've been using this cheap little Zoo Med Red Reptile Bulb for almost two years, and I'm so genuinely shocked that it hasn't blown out yet. Though, I don't use it often anymore, only for the occasional nocturnal viewing.

Any red bulb will do.

Agreed! My zoo med bulbs last forever!

rickmoss95

I bought a red Zilla LED light for my guy, it was under $20 and puts out much more oomph than I expected. I really love it.

what wattage is it? those red lights put off some serious heat, so depending on the wattage is how hot they will get. a 50 watt red buld can raise a 20 gal long over a hundred degrees on the light side, so i would get a good thermometer or temp gun and keep an eye on it. im sure you are on top of it, but giving you a heads up.
i do love the way the red lights make an enclosure look at night. you get really good visibility and it does not seem to affect any of the snakes i have kept and bred, or the cresteds i used to breed. i know leopards are a totally different species, and i may affect them differently....i have heard others say that the red bothers them, but if it did i think that you would be able to tell by thier behavior.
i have noticed that when they are under the red light, thier pupils do close up...so the red light is making the eyes react in that manner. but with both my cresteds and boids that i had in display cages...as soon as the white light went out and the red came on, most of them came out and became active pretty quick.

Last edited:

XgodzillaX

I use a red heat bulb to help keep a good over all temp in my cage. I also have an UTH.
I think it's all about preference.

NatalieS

what wattage is it? those red lights put off some serious heat, so depending on the wattage is how hot they will get. a 50 watt red buld can raise a 20 gal long over a hundred degrees on the light side, so i would get a good thermometer or temp gun and keep an eye on it. im sure you are on top of it, but giving you a heads up.
i do love the way the red lights make an enclosure look at night. you get really good visibility and it does not seem to affect any of the snakes i have kept and bred, or the cresteds i used to breed. i know leopards are a totally different species, and i may affect them differently....i have heard others say that the red bothers them, but if it did i think that you would be able to tell by thier behavior.
i have noticed that when they are under the red light, thier pupils do close up...so the red light is making the eyes react in that manner. but with both my cresteds and boids that i had in display cages...as soon as the white light went out and the red came on, most of them came out and became active pretty quick.

It's an LED light, it puts out no heat.

Visit our friends