Reptarium

minimoe80

Love My Leo
Has anyone used or use a Repatarium for there gecko? I currently use a 10 gallon aquarium, but the Repatarium looks like a good cheap option to create a much bigger habitat

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...and-explorariums/-/38-gallon-basic-reptarium/

I would use it on its side obviously and not the tall way

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
It looks like it has screen on all sides so I would worry about their nails getting caught in it and about feeders climbing the sides.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
All screen cages are useful for certain reptile species, like chameleons and some larger arboreal geckos, but they're no good for leos. They don't hold heat well and feeders will in fact climb the sides. If you want something cheaper than a tank, look into rubbermaid tubs.

sammer021486

I agree with Ted and say look into tubs as an alternative housing method. I have just switched all of my leos that were in 10 gallons into tubs that have 23"x18" floor space, cost me $5 per tub.

For the cost of a Reptarium its not worth it for many reasons.
  • They do not hold heat well
  • They will require a plastic tray to catch all of the wastes from the animal habituating the enclosure
  • They close with zippers (at least the ones I have seen)
  • They are basically a screen bag, supported internally by plastic tubing
  • Many of the reptariums are made for arboreal species

You could also try your local classifieds and yard sales to see if someone is selling larger tanks. Many people selling in a yard sale will let things go for next to nothing just so they do not have to hull it back inside once they're done.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Oh, one more thing; the screening on reptariums is nylon, something feeders(especially crickets and roaches) have no problem chewing through.

minimoe80

Love My Leo
ya but I was going to put a bottom on it and I feed my gechos in a bowl so there would be no concern of them climing the side of the repatarium because they cant get out of the bowl. i planded on keeping my leo on the 10 GALLON tank I have now. But them wanted to get hte 38 gallon reptarium thats on sale to house 3 other leopards. One male and two females that could greed in there. I know some people who personaly use the repatarium for there geckos and have no problems. But I wanted to ask you guys specificaly as I trust you all.... You think it absoltly positively is a bad idea all around? :-( I really liked the pricing for the size. The 10 gallon tank I go is so small and I want something bigger but am working with a smal small budget and wanted something affordable

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
you have several very knowledgeable people here telling you its not a good idea, and giving good reasons as well. but you are obviously set on getting using it, so why even ask? it doesn't hold heat well and their nails are very prone to get caught in the nylon. supers and crickets could chew through the mesh as well. ive used the 250 gallon reptarium for veiled chams, but im with everyone else on this. i wouldnt recommend it for leos. do you have any other animals such as dogs and cats in your house?

Jgreen909

If you are close to any reptile shows you can pick up larger tanks there. Or craigslist, eBay even the local reptile stores will have used ones for sale at times. Just take a little time and you will find what you want for the price that fits.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Sterelite containers are your best bet. I've used repatariums before for other species and IMO they aren't particularly great quality and the framing breaks easily and the screen tears easily. I don't feel that adequate temperatures can be maintained in them. Leos require belly heat, and heat mats cannot be attached to reptariums.

Another thing to consider; I would strongly suggest you reconsider breeding if you are having problems housing a simple group of adults correctly. A single leopard gecko female will produce 10-20 offspring each year and housing and care must be provided for ALL of the babies until they are sold. Another thing to consider is the market for leopard geckos is extremely flooded and selling offspring can be difficult. You have to plan to house all offspring for the life spans in case they do not sell.
Breeding in itself is an expensive process. You require an incubator, incubation medium, and housing and feeding for all the potential offspring. You also need to start with high quality (i.e. expensive) stock if you want to have any measure of success marketing the offspring. There are a lot of leopard gecko breeders out there, and making a name for yourself is a long hard road. If you aren't financially capable of acquiring quality equipment and quality starter animals I would reconsider getting into breeding. Like anything in this life, you get what you put into it.

minimoe80

Love My Leo
and as far as the heat issue they used the heat pad and seemed to have no probel with keeping them heated as they thrived.. A couple actually used the heat ligts but even they told me those were not actually needed

minimoe80

Love My Leo
you have several very knowledgeable people here telling you its not a good idea, and giving good reasons as well. but you are obviously set on getting using it, so why even ask? it doesn't hold heat well and their nails are very prone to get caught in the nylon. supers and crickets could chew through the mesh as well. ive used the 250 gallon reptarium for veiled chams, but im with everyone else on this. i wouldnt recommend it for leos. do you have any other animals such as dogs and cats in your house?

No NO No.. Please dont get me wrong. People outside this forum are telling me its ok, but the reason I am asking here is because I trust everyones words here MUCH more then anwywhere elses. I do not have dogs or cats, but like you said if everyone here is saying its a bad idea then forget it, its out the door.

minimoe80

Love My Leo
Sterelite containers are your best bet. I've used repatariums before for other species and IMO they aren't particularly great quality and the framing breaks easily and the screen tears easily. I don't feel that adequate temperatures can be maintained in them. Leos require belly heat, and heat mats cannot be attached to reptariums.

Another thing to consider; I would strongly suggest you reconsider breeding if you are having problems housing a simple group of adults correctly. A single leopard gecko female will produce 10-20 offspring each year and housing and care must be provided for ALL of the babies until they are sold. Another thing to consider is the market for leopard geckos is extremely flooded and selling offspring can be difficult. You have to plan to house all offspring for the life spans in case they do not sell.
Breeding in itself is an expensive process. You require an incubator, incubation medium, and housing and feeding for all the potential offspring. You also need to start with high quality (i.e. expensive) stock if you want to have any measure of success marketing the offspring. There are a lot of leopard gecko breeders out there, and making a name for yourself is a long hard road. If you aren't financially capable of acquiring quality equipment and quality starter animals I would reconsider getting into breeding. Like anything in this life, you get what you put into it.

Trex where do you recomed i find Sterelite containers online?

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Trex where do you recomed i find Sterelite containers online?

Walmart, Target, The Container store, you can find them almost anywhere. Rubbermaid or Sterilite both work just fine, the Iris tubs at the container store are a bit better IMO, as they are clearer and have smooth flat bottoms. But as far as functionality goes, all three brands work fine and make sizes suitable for leopard geckos.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Flexwatt, UTH, they all work just fine with storage containers. Of course heating devices should always be regulated by a thermostat/rheostat.

Visit our friends