Rescue Checklist

GeckoTrouble

I was wondering what those that take in rescues consider their initial checklist for things to do when you get a new rescue in.

Mine is something like this:
Asses suitability of enclosure and change as needed (most common issues are hides, substrate and heating method)
Asses condition of gecko paying particular attention to tail, MBD indicators and shedding issues. I normally weigh the gecko and take pictures too.
Provide properly gutloaded and dusted feeders, fresh water and calcium dish
Allow gecko to settle in and monitor feeding and pooping.
Collect fecal sample for parasite profile at vets (my vet gives me a couple of containers to keep on hand)

I'm interested in what everyone else does as well to see if there is anything I can add to my list

Khrysty

I was wondering what those that take in rescues consider their initial checklist for things to do when you get a new rescue in.

Mine is something like this:
Asses suitability of enclosure and change as needed (most common issues are hides, substrate and heating method)
Asses condition of gecko paying particular attention to tail, MBD indicators and shedding issues. I normally weigh the gecko and take pictures too.
Provide properly gutloaded and dusted feeders, fresh water and calcium dish
Allow gecko to settle in and monitor feeding and pooping.
Collect fecal sample for parasite profile at vets (my vet gives me a couple of containers to keep on hand)

I'm interested in what everyone else does as well to see if there is anything I can add to my list

To that list I'd like to add:
-make sure you have slurry and appetite stimulants on hand just in case.
-assess condition of the hides--i nearly always boil the "ick" off of everything given to me

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
The first thing you should do (or NOT do) is pay money for a rescue... especially from a pet store. If you PAY for a gecko that is less than optimal condition, the seller has no incentive to care for their geckos properly. Why should they, if people will pay for them anyway? If you pay money for a rescue, you are not rescuing it... you are simply enabling the seller to contunue the behavior that made the gecko need 'rescued'.

The second thing would be to take it and/or a fecal sample to a vet immediately to confirm that there are no parasites or other contageous diseases. Most reptile parasitic or other infections can be treated if caught early enough, with the exception of crypto which is fatal.

The third thing would be to quarantine any newly aquired reptiles for a minimum of 30 days, although 90 days is best. ALL enclosures, water and food bowls, and cage furniture should be disinfected with 10% bleach solution or straight household ammonia (DO NOT mix ammonia and bleach!). Make sure ventilation is good, and rinse, rinse, rinse, and air dry.

Khrysty

The first thing you should do (or NOT do) is pay money for a rescue... especially from a pet store. If you PAY for a gecko that is less than optimal condition, the seller has no incentive to care for their geckos properly. Why should they, if people will pay for them anyway? If you pay money for a rescue, you are not rescuing it... you are simply enabling the seller to contunue the behavior that made the gecko need 'rescued'.

Does this apply to C-list rescues as well? These people are trying to make a quick buck, yeah, probably, but what if it's just the one, or two pets they have and they're not like...breeders or anything? I wouldn't/don't think twice about putting down the money for geckos from c-list when they're in bad shape if I know I can take better care of them.

T&KBrouse

K, the Crazy Snake Lady
We've only had one leo show up as a rescue, but we've had all other types of reptiles show up. Sometimes from law enforcement and animal control, other times they're surrendered by their owners.

No matter what the circumstance, this is our procedure:

1. Get as much information/history about the animal as possible from whomever is leaving it with us. (age, temper, gender, feeding, etc.)

2. The animal is then checked over thoroughly for any visible signs of disease or distress, weighed, measured, cleaned up and put in to a quiet, warm cage in the area we use for quarantining. (The animal will be quarantined for a minimum of 60 days.)

3. Make a vet appointment to check for everything else.

4. A file is made and includes: date surrendered, vet records, medical treatments, feedings, sheds, voids and journal info about the animal's personality, habits and handlability.

Theres sometimes other stuff we do, depending on the species, but this is the general list of the basics.

GeckoTrouble

I agree quarantine is very important in case there is something going on.

I disagree about paying for a gecko rescue though.
I have picked up a couple of rescues from CList where the price being asked was comparable to the fair market value of the equipment that came with the geckos. In those cases I don't see that as paying for the geckos... rather paying for the equipment.
I'll be the first to admit that I broke my own rules and paid money to a pet store for Kink... however I paid a fraction of what they were asking for him... I don't know if I would do it again, but it would probably depend on the animal in questions condition and how much I could talk them down on price.

Visit our friends