Rescued Leopard Gecko

awholeasszoo

I rescued a 13 yo Leo just over a week ago. He's spent most of the time hidden away and pooping in his hides, but only recently has started poking his head out to watch me. My main concern right now is his mouth. If you can see in the attached image, it looks like the front of his mouth isn't really fully aligned, which I've not noticed with my other Leo who I've had since a baby. Not sure if this is cause for concern or a sign of an underlying issue?
He is missing the tips of quite a few toes due to stuck shed, so has less claws than he should. I tried to offer him mealworm, he made a feeble attempt to grab it and then hid back in his cave again. I'm not sure if he's just not hungry or if he's maybe got some eye sight issues due to his age/improper husbandry? He hasn't touched any of the worms in his bowls except one I fed him on the day he arrived, although I'm not overly concerned as he is still pooping normally.
I want to try and make as many necessary improvements as possible to try and extend the time I have with him. 20240316_180336.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Do you know for sure that he ate mealworms before? Can you tell whether he is able to hold his body up on his feet or are his legs bowed and his belly always drags on the ground? I'm asking because if he hasn't been supplemented, he may have MBD (metabolic bone disease) and his jaw may be very soft. It's not unusual for geckos in a new place (even if they're in their usual enclosure) to hide and not eat for awhile. Keep offering and keep an eye on his mobility. If he's pooping, then he must be eating something. Good luck wiith him!

Aliza

NearMeGeckos

My gecko is 10 and has some sight issues. Won't eat anything from a bowel, hand feeding only. Though it sounds yucky, pulling the food in half and touching it to the geckos mouth can entice them to eat.

awholeasszoo

Do you know for sure that he ate mealworms before? Can you tell whether he is able to hold his body up on his feet or are his legs bowed and his belly always drags on the ground? I'm asking because if he hasn't been supplemented, he may have MBD (metabolic bone disease) and his jaw may be very soft. It's not unusual for geckos in a new place (even if they're in their usual enclosure) to hide and not eat for awhile. Keep offering and keep an eye on his mobility. If he's pooping, then he must be eating something. Good luck wiith him!

Aliza
Thank you! From what I can tell, his legs don't seem affected, just the tip of his mouth looks different and he still has some shed stuck to his toes. He ate one mealworm I offered on his first day, and seemed to have eaten 1 or 2 from his bowl. I offered morio worms as he's never had them before and he's eaten 2 or 3 in the last 3-4 days. The way he grabs them seems like he's just trying to grab the biggest area possible which leads me to believe he likely has vision issues, but I'm hopeful that he's just bored of mealies and will be more interested in the different bugs I've ordered for him

awholeasszoo

My gecko is 10 and has some sight issues. Won't eat anything from a bowel, hand feeding only. Though it sounds yucky, pulling the food in half and touching it to the geckos mouth can entice them to eat.
I'm hoping he is just bored of mealies as from what I've gathered, theyre the only thing he's ever eaten, at least in the last few years. He's eaten a few offered morios that I dropped in front of him, but grabs the tissue on the bottom of the tank top when he goes for them, so I think he may have some level of vision issue/lack of depth perception. He has a variety of bugs being delivered soon so hopefully those entice him to eat a wider variety

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have always had some leopard geckos in my collection that have needed hand-feeding. They have me well-trained!

Aliza

Visit our friends