Rosehair Tarantula age question:

I recently purchased a female chilean rose hair from a reptile show and was wondering if there was a way for us to get a general idea of how old she may be? Also, is there any advice etc. that anyone may be able to give as far as her care is concerned? I have read over several care sheets, but some have contradicting information, so I am trying to get some insight from an experienced owner.

On a side notw, she seems to be settling in wonderfully. She's already exploring her new enclosure and before I even put her in there she crawled on me for a few minutes with no signs of agression. I have been extremely surprised at how sweet and docile she is. :)

But yea, thanks in advance guys and gals.

animeavatar

I <3 Mu Mu!!
A 2 gallon is already okay. Mine isnt even in a 2 gallon( I don't think it is). It is in a faunarium. You can't really tell the age of one because most are wild caught. G. roseas are mostly docile but some are aggressive. Feed crickets as a staple( every week or every other week) and keep the enclosure dry( some sites say to mist but you don't have to). Just overflow the water dish a little. Room temperature is okay( don't heat with lighting or UTH unless you want a cooked tarantula :D).
http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html
That is my fav care sheet and they also wrote a book that I recommend you to read( The Tarantula Keeper's Guide). You can also join Arachnoboards.
Is it an adult?

A 2 gallon is already okay. Mine isnt even in a 2 gallon( I don't think it is). It is in a faunarium. You can't really tell the age of one because most are wild caught. G. roseas are mostly docile but some are aggressive. Feed crickets as a staple( every week or every other week) and keep the enclosure dry( some sites say to mist but you don't have to). Just overflow the water dish a little. Room temperature is okay( don't heat with lighting or UTH unless you want a cooked tarantula :D).
http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html
That is my fav care sheet and they also wrote a book that I recommend you to read( The Tarantula Keeper's Guide). You can also join Arachnoboards.
Is it an adult?

Thank you so much for the advice. I found a list of recommended books online, so I'm prolly going to BAM later to pick a couple of them up. :) I registered for tarantulaforums.com, but haven't gotten my confirmation email yet.

She looks like an adult. I can try to measure her or something tomorrow if that will help figure out if she is or not. I don't wanna get her out right now b/c I just finished setting up her cage last night, so I'm letting her settle in. (lol) I'm also not sure if she's 100% for sure female either. I bought her from a spider guy at a reptile show Saturday and he had purchased her from another guy and he said that she was female, so we're just all taking his word for it.

I was wondering about food as well. I put her 4 large crickets in there last night and I'll take them out tonight, but a few sites said to mix their food up and give them mealworms and roaches and things as well. ??

Dimidiata

Variety is always good. We kept ours in a 5gal, it seemed to work very nice. Gave here a decent 2 hides, propper heating and so on. She would eat a few times a week. We went between locust, crickets, supers and so on.

Edit: sexing can be easy so long as they are mature.
http://www.tarantulas.com/sexing.html
Most breeders dont sell males without being asked or telling you its male, males dont live long after maturity.

Last edited:

Pandasarus09

Hi :)
i have a rose hair too :)
my was bred in devon and shes about 6-8 months old i was told she was older than that but i toke her to a different reptile shop and they told me other wise as he showed me a chilean rose that was a year and it was huge compared to my little girl :(

and mine eats crickets but my boyfriend pink toe eats mealworms / hoppers/ a wax worm
so mix and match and see what they like really :)

Last edited:

Visit our friends