Sanitizing Sticks

ThatOnePossum

I have some sticks I collected almost a year ago. They’ve sat unused since then. Now I’m getting a leopard gecko, and would like to use some of them in the enclosure, as I know this particular leopard gecko likes to climb (he was a family member’s first). Would it be safe to clean them with diluted dish soap? Sorry if that’s a stupid question- I think I’ve heard I can, so it’s not completely out of left field from this end.
(also, I’ve been told several times that I can just leave them out for a while and they’ll be fine. I mostly trust that, the sanitizing is more for piece of mind and future deep cleans)

And a second question: I collected the sticks from beside a creek in the woods. There was a field somewhat close by, but it was still a decent walk to get to the creek from the field. Should the sticks be safe to use from the perspective of insecticides?

edit: One more question. I don’t know what kind of wood this is. Should I just not use it since it could be pine wood? It has no smell whatsoever (that I remember. I’d double check now, but I’m sick and can’t breathe through my nose well), and was by the creek for long enough that it has no bark. I also don’t recall seeing any pine trees in the area, but it has been a year.

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I know pine sap isn't good for reptiles, but if it's dead wood there won't be any more sap. Many people bake their wood in the oven for awhile. If you did that just to be sure, in my opinion it should all be OK.

Aliza

ThatOnePossum

I know pine sap isn't good for reptiles, but if it's dead wood there won't be any more sap. Many people bake their wood in the oven for awhile. If you did that just to be sure, in my opinion it should all be OK.

Aliza
Awesome, thank you. :)

Krystal10

I have some sticks I collected almost a year ago. They’ve sat unused since then. Now I’m getting a leopard gecko, and would like to use some of them in the enclosure, as I know this particular leopard gecko likes to climb (he was a family member’s first). Would it be safe to clean them with diluted dish soap? Sorry if that’s a stupid question- I think I’ve heard I can, so it’s not completely out of left field from this end.
(also, I’ve been told several times that I can just leave them out for a while and they’ll be fine. I mostly trust that, the sanitizing is more for piece of mind and future deep cleans)

And a second question: I collected the sticks from beside a creek in the woods. There was a field somewhat close by, but it was still a decent walk to get to the creek from the field. Should the sticks be safe to use from the perspective of insecticides?

edit: One more question. I don’t know what kind of wood this is. Should I just not use it since it could be pine wood? It has no smell whatsoever (that I remember. I’d double check now, but I’m sick and can’t breathe through my nose well), and was by the creek for long enough that it has no bark. I also don’t recall seeing any pine trees in the area, but it has been a year.
nothing wrong with cleaning

Visit our friends