KacyOgs

Hi! Im a grade 12 student who just moved to a new school and discovered Wally, a grade 2 leopard gecko class pet. When I found him he was locked with shed with a toe strangled off. I bathed him and gently removed as much shed as possible and got his tank conditions as under control as possible. I have never seen him eat and id love some advice on how to better care for him as I am more of a bearded dragon/ snake kind of gal. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
He seems to be in relatively good shape, especially after your care. Make sure that the floor of the cage on the hot side is warm enough for him (low 90'sF). Do you know what they've been feeding him? If you can, experiment with mealworms and also crickets to see which he seems to like better. Keep offering and see what happens.

Aliza

KacyOgs

He seems to be in relatively good shape, especially after your care. Make sure that the floor of the cage on the hot side is warm enough for him (low 90'sF). Do you know what they've been feeding him? If you can, experiment with mealworms and also crickets to see which he seems to like better. Keep offering and see what happens.

Aliza
They have been trying to feed him super worms but I think they are too big for him. I’m going out to buy some stuff to make his cage a whole lot better than some paper towels. Do you have a list of things I should grab? I brought in a new heating lamp this morning because his old one was so old it was barely letting anything off. Do Leo’s need UVB? He doesn’t have any hides and he’s in a small cage so I’m trying to save some money to give him a better place to stay

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Ideally he needs a heat mat to keep one side of the enclosure in the low 90's, which probably means that you'll need a thermostat (check out the Zilla one. Works well and reasonable price). I use ceramic tile for the substrate which I really like. Google "humid hides" and make one for him. If there is ambient light in the room he doesn't need extra lighting and it's really better if the heat comes for below than from above. Leopard geckos are nocturnal so they don't really bask and usually don't reliably get their D3 from UV. Your gecko should have his food dusted with calcium and vitamin D3. Repashy Calcium Plus is a good all-in-one supplement. I have fed super worms to geckos as small as 10 grams and it's been fine. He may not like them. Mealworms are smaller and crickets (adult crickets are fine) move around more.

Aliza

KacyOgs

Ideally he needs a heat mat to keep one side of the enclosure in the low 90's, which probably means that you'll need a thermostat (check out the Zilla one. Works well and reasonable price). I use ceramic tile for the substrate which I really like. Google "humid hides" and make one for him. If there is ambient light in the room he doesn't need extra lighting and it's really better if the heat comes for below than from above. Leopard geckos are nocturnal so they don't really bask and usually don't reliably get their D3 from UV. Your gecko should have his food dusted with calcium and vitamin D3. Repashy Calcium Plus is a good all-in-one supplement. I have fed super worms to geckos as small as 10 grams and it's been fine. He may not like them. Mealworms are smaller and crickets (adult crickets are fine) move around more.

Aliza
Sounds good! He’s kept in a 10 gallon so I’m trying to get some money to keep him safe. Any online places that sell cheap tanks that will work? I can’t afford much… I’m talking to the teacher tomorrow about potentially taking Wally as I know she doesn’t like having him. Will keep you updated!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm not sure where you live, but check out craigslist. I've gotten all my used enclosures there.

Aliza

Visit our friends