Screen cages

I'm a noob for now

Hi people, so I want to put a crested gecko and day gecko in a screen cage, 24x24x48, and I have a few questions, first I live outside sacremento, in the seirra Nevada foot hills, it, tank would be in my room, would I be able to keep humidity steady, and could I keep a crested and a day gecko together? Its such a big enclosure that I think I could right? I know the temptetures are diffrent, but its large so the Basking area would be smaller etc, what do more experienced keepers think?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think it's marginal at best and possibly tragic at worst to keep these different species together, even in a relatively large enclosure. They come from different parts of the world. One is native to a tropical rainforest and one to a temperate rain forest. If by "day gecko" you mean a Madagascar giant day gecko, some people would consider a 24x24x48 enclosure a little on the small side. The day geckos, in particular, tend to be territorial and often don't get along with their own species. You'd think that with the day gecko being diurnal and the crested gecko being nocturnal they should be able to share the space, but my crested geckos are often active during the day (moreso than my gold dust day gecko is at night). I highly recommend keeping only one species per enclosure.
I've done a little research, out of curiosity, into the climate of the Sierra Nevadas and Sacremento. I have questions about whether a screen cage will be adequate (you'd know best about the humidity since you're the one who lives there). If you're thinking about a humidifier, I can say that living in New England with forced hot air heating, running humidifiers on each floor of the house, we get to 38% humidity max.

Aliza

I'm a noob for now

I think it's marginal at best and possibly tragic at worst to keep these different species together, even in a relatively large enclosure. They come from different parts of the world. One is native to a tropical rainforest and one to a temperate rain forest. If by "day gecko" you mean a Madagascar giant day gecko, some people would consider a 24x24x48 enclosure a little on the small side. The day geckos, in particular, tend to be territorial and often don't get along with their own species. You'd think that with the day gecko being diurnal and the crested gecko being nocturnal they should be able to share the space, but my crested geckos are often active during the day (moreso than my gold dust day gecko is at night). I highly recommend keeping only one species per enclosure.
I've done a little research, out of curiosity, into the climate of the Sierra Nevadas and Sacremento. I have questions about whether a screen cage will be adequate (you'd know best about the humidity since you're the one who lives there). If you're thinking about a humidifier, I can say that living in New England with forced hot air heating, running humidifiers on each floor of the house, we get to 38% humidity max.

Aliza
I have a crimson day gecko, might be the same thing, I'm not worried about humidity as much as them fighting, I might end up just doing 2 smaller, not by much though enclosures, like doing a 24x18x36, and a 18x18x36 for the crested

Visit our friends