Set up improvement recommendations?

awholeasszoo

I adopted a new leopard gecko today from a family friend who could no longer care for him. His name is Boris and he is 13 years old. Attached is his current setup. I am going to get a thermometer and a thermostat tomorrow as he doesn't have one. The bottom of the tank is wooden so I don't think it's safe to use a heat mat? But I also don't think the bulb is efficient enough or safe enough, and also I don't really want my room lit up all night by a bright red bulb
Ideally I would move him into a glass tank but I'm not able to do that for a while, and I was wondering what alternatives there are for the heating set up that would be safe to use in this tank, safe for him and also keep the tank warm efficiently.

He also has some stuck shed on his nose and toes but I don't want to stress him out by trying to help get it off right now, so any tips for that would be great too.

Attachments

• IMG_20240308_181355_531.jpg
    IMG_20240308_181355_531.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 3

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you get a thermostat to keep the heat at about 90F the wooden bottom shouldn't be a problem in my opinion. Wood will not burn or scorch at 90.

Aliza

Visit our friends