Sexing fat tails

L

LeoGeckos

I have many many leopard geckos and a few fat tailed geckos. Ive never had a problem sexing my leos, but the fat tails give me problems. I supposedly thought I had a male and female, they were sold to me as such. It looks as though the female has bulges and some pores. Ive heard it is harder to sex the fat tails. Is there any definitive way to know for sure. Ive also heard that males tend to be bigger and broader but the male that i have is only 45 grams and 2 yrs old. He looks smaller then the supposed female. Any help/pictures would be helpful, heres the 45 gram males picture. Also this male has not even showed interest in breeding, thats why i suspected he could be a she! argh!!!

ReptileMan27

I cant tell with that pic, if you can get a closer pic that should help. It looks female to me but thats only a guess, cant tell with that pic.

Stitch

Yeah, need a closer pic. Also AFT tend to be more difficult to get to breed so don't lose hope yet. You may need to cool them to mate.

GekkoGalaksen

This is "Pluto", Amel AFT, born the first week in september last year...
And I don´t think there is any doubt, he is a male!
I am a little surprised over this, beacuse he grows very slow. 28 grams yesterday...

5-6.jpg

2-12.jpg

ByRandom

Deliriously Random
Everything that I've read and experienced AFT's are as easy as Leo's to breed. Wait for them to ovulate, then place them with the male.. Now, the male may or may not want to breed yet -- that's the difficult part. However, female AFTs also have pores and bulges (not together, mind you! lol)! That's where the difficulty comes in with sexing them. Pores and Bulges - Male. Bulges no pores - Female. Pores no Bulges - Female.

W

Wretched

GekkoGalaksen said:
I am a little surprised over this, beacuse he grows very slow. 28 grams yesterday...

My male Aft is a pretty slow grower too. is this just a normal thing for them?

Stitch

The book that I have "The Leopard Gecko Manual" states that AFT's seem to be less fertile then leo's and that they may require more effort to get them to mate. That is IF I recall what the book said correctly.

I do not have any experience in breeding AFT's, but I have breed leo's.

As for growth, to my knowledge AFT's grow slower then leo's do. This coming from my vet and from the book.

GeckoGuru

Both of my male AFTs are over 90 grams and one is not even over 1.5 years of age. Probably a large part of size determination is the genetics involved though. If I had to guess though, I think that the pic you posted is a female!

S

sportbike_rob

ByRandom said:
Pores and Bulges - Male. Bulges no pores - Female. Pores no Bulges - Female.
so froto is a girl? he has pores, but i seen no bulges on him, when we bought him they said he was male..........:main_huh:

Visit our friends