Sick leopard gecko, closed eyes not eating

Lila

Hi! Okay so i didn't know what else to do but i (13) promised a friend that i would try to help with her leopard gecko (we are from poland and it's hard to find information about reptiles in polish) I've tried google and forums but have failed to find anything similar or what could be helpful input to her situation, so posting my own thread is my last idea on how i could help

Her gecko (female) is 2 years old and is housed in a tank with a male… last week she had laid eggs (all infertile) and ever since then has not been eating, is cold and only drank a little bit yesterday, her eyes are closed and has not been moving at all
The geckos are kept in temps 25° day and 23° night also would like to note that their lamp went out and she is going to buy a new one. She feeds them mealworms and isopods.. is this normal with geckos after laying eggs? Any clues as to what it could be? I will post more info when i can.

I will keep encouraging her to take her to a vet but this all happened very suddenly and she hasn't been able to take her yet (especially due to the fact that there aren't many places you can go that will take in reptiles)

Skar

I'm not a expert.

I would separate them for a bit, laying eggs takes alot out of the animal.
Make sure she is dusting the food with cal and d3 supplements.

Pictures?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Are the 23 and 25 temperatures on the floor of the cage or in the air? If it's the floor temperature, it's much too low. If it's the air temperature it's OK. The floor temperature needs to be about 33, and it needs to be that hot all the time. There should be a heat pad under the cage. If she's cold all the time, she won't eat and she won't feel very good because after laying eggs she should be eating.
Please have your friend separate the geckos. The male will keep mating with her and she will lay eggs every 2 weeks possibly. Even if they are separated today, she will lay more eggs, but things should be easier for her.

Aliza

Lila

Are the 23 and 25 temperatures on the floor of the cage or in the air? If it's the floor temperature, it's much too low. If it's the air temperature it's OK. The floor temperature needs to be about 33, and it needs to be that hot all the time. There should be a heat pad under the cage. If she's cold all the time, she won't eat and she won't feel very good because after laying eggs she should be eating.
Please have your friend separate the geckos. The male will keep mating with her and she will lay eggs every 2 weeks possibly. Even if they are separated today, she will lay more eggs, but things should be easier for her.

Aliza
I will let her know to put the temps up, they are currently separated.. and is getting tested for parasites since she was vomiting and hasn't eaten in a week. Will keep you updated and include pics soon. Thank you so so much for the help

Lila

Thank you for the help. Unfortunately she passed away x

Last edited:

KatieG

That's sad. I hate to hear that. I got a little gut 2 months ago and he's been unhealthy since i brought him home. We fought the parasites and now im back to hand-feeding because he hasn't been too interested in food yet and he's so small he cant afford to not eat. Im sorry about your friends little guy. I hope they try again and have a better chance at a long relationship with one of these beautiful creatures.

Visit our friends