So, I got my leo from Petco...

shantisyndrome

Apparently, my Petco sucks.
This is my first gecko ever.
The only other pets I have are two RES...yes, I know they will be huge later.
I'm going to build a pond.
But on to the subject at hand.
Petco sucks because they were trying to get me to buy sand as a substrate.
I said ...no. I'm going to buy the Reptile carpet.
Since I heard about impaction and all that ew stuff.
Then they tried to get me to buy a UVB bulb thing.
I said I had one already because I had a feeling they would not sell me the damn leo if I said otherwise.
Anyways, they guy was a total idiot, point blank.
Then I inquired about the calcium dish.
And the guy had the nerve to say that he doesn't need one yet.
Well...wtf.
What, he is never going need one then?
Because there sure as hell wasn't a calcium dish in the tank with 5 other geckos in it.
Now, I feel like it's too late.
:/
The leo looked healthy when I got him, but he's walking funny.
And his legs are freeaaking me out because sometimes when he's not walking, it looks like...boneless.
This is not normal, I'm pretty sure.
I have a calcium dish.
HOWEVER.
I got the one that said "Leopard Gecko Calcium" on it or whatever.
I failed to realise that it has d3.
I heard too much d3 could be bad for leos.
Now... I only had this in there for about a week.
Should I take that calcium dish out now and wait until Friday so I can go to Petco to get the calcium without d3?
Or leave it in there?
I dust my mealies with the calcium with d3 also...
I should continue doing that, correct?
Another thing...
My leo has shed.
How long is the process?
Because it's had a piece of the dead skin on its head for like a week, but I heard to not bother the gecko with its shedding process...but I never knew how long it was.
I heard soaks help, but it's on its head, sooo...
Also it's humid enough in there...
and I have a humid hide...
But it never goes in there.
-_____-
It's a container that I made and I stuffed it with moist paper towels.

May I have some help/tips?
I really want to have this gecko for a long time.
Even though it's mean to me.
I never want to give up on it.​

mango+cola

hmm that was a lot of questions. It definately needs calcium, but don't forget that it needs some kind of multivitamin as well! Lots of people can give you advice on which multivitamin to give, but I give both of mine NEKTON REP, my juvi only has her worms dusted with it once a week because she needs more calcium now, whereas my adult has it more often and only a calcium dish to lick in her tank. About the shedding, to be honest with you I have never witnessed any of my geckos shed, I only see them turn white and then by the next morning they have completely shed. If it has been a week i would say get a Q-tip and moisten it, and then you can roll it over the skin and it should come off, just dont pull on the skin!! if it doesnt come off by rolling it then its not ready, but I would say a week to complete shedding is too long. You said it has a humid hide but never goes in, maybe that is why it had issues shedding, is the humidity in the tank ok? maybe it was too dry for him to have a successful shed. Anyhow, I hope that helped a little, if you are worried about it I would say take it to see your vet just for a check up, most people do this every year anyways just to make sure they are progressing ok, and you can get a fecal sample done and the vert will tell you if its bones look funny.

Dimidiata

I think a basic vet check up is in order. The gecko sounds like it has MBD, wich is a calcium defficiency. Not good. Shed should not be stuck to the leo, if it doesnt come off all at once then it may require your attention. Be sure you have a HUMID hide in the tank along with a hot and cool hide. What are the tank temps?

shantisyndrome

The temperature on the ho side is 90 and the cool side is about 78.
Does the moist hide go on the hot or cool side...?
What type of calcium do I put in the dish?
The one without d3 right?
And the multivitamin...
How do I give it him and how often?
Should I order hornworms, silkworms, and phoniex worms for extra nutrients?

JeepFreak81

Pheonix worms are great from what i have read. I plan to order some myself when the weather is warm enough.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

mango+cola

The moist hide should go on the cooler side
Mine just has regular calcium in the dish (so yes, the one without D3)
The multivitamin depends on how old your leo is, if its still a juvi then once a week is ok, the other times you should do calcium, and if it is an adult, then you should be doing it probably every or every other day, and then just provide calcium in a bowl. Everyone has a different opinion on that, but thats what we do and our geckos are perfectly healthy.
To give them the multivitamins, you just dust the feeders with it, so if its crickets put them in a bag and put some multivitamin powder in and shake it, if its worms put them in a bowl and sprinkle multivitamin in and just shake it so it covers the worms. The multivitamin I told you about it suppost to taste good to leos, so sometimes when our's stop eating because its that time of year, we liquidise the powder and let her lick it from a syringe.
I have heard that all the worms you suggested are good, but i would just say order a small amount of each until you know that your leo likes them, our leo wont eat anything except mealworms. Also if its a juvi you dont want to be feeding them big feeders, I think the standard is nothing that is bigger than their head, and those hornworms will grow like crazy. we gave our leo a hornworm and she just kind of stared at it like you expect me to eat that?

Russellm0704

The calcium you got at petco is fine. It's the one by T-rex brand with the leopard gecko on it? If you read it, that calcium is made by repashy. This has a safe amount of D3 and also has all the multivitamins you need. Repashy is the best stuff on the market

Visit our friends