Stripes...

StatikStepz

www.ThePerfectGecko.com
I'm thinking of gettin into them... Bold Stripes, and Red Stripes... But how do they work? What i mean by that is... To create a stripe, do both parents have be be homozygous for it? Or can a stripe come out from just 1 parent having the gene.

For instance, I have an Emerine that i am thinking of pairing to a Emerine X Red Stripe cross. Would all babies be Emerines het for red stripe, or would i get a mix of varying Red Stripes and varying Emerines?

I really like the poitential of Red Stripes and Bold Stripes, and would like to start working with them. Just don't know anything about them except for the fact that a Stripe x Stripe will give you stripes, lol

I'd look it up in one of those "genetics calculators", but they are very limited as to the genes you can enter into it... very basic... esp. the Love-gen one. They all need to be updated! lol

Anyone got any percentages or numbers for me, lol

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I don't think there is a concensus about how the stripe gene really works. Some believe it is recessive, but I don't think they are a 'simple' recessive like albinos, Murphy patternless, or blizzards. In the case of the Bold Stripes, mine are a line-bred morph.

robin

i have made het stripes and proven them out. kelli hammack bred stripes to bells to get double het stripes. how else do you think she made those gorgeous bell stripes. marcia, i do not know about your line of stripes but with the R2 Reptiles line of bold stripes you can make hets and i have known other people who have made hets too, like jeremy letkey and his raining red stripes, but some of his stripes were R2 Reptiles line of bold stripe as well.

StatikStepz

www.ThePerfectGecko.com
Hmm... interesting to know. I did not know any of that... thanx for the help!

...So what would i get by pairing a Jungle Emerine to a Red Stripe x Emerine Cross?

Can ya get percentages of outcomes like any others?

StatikStepz

www.ThePerfectGecko.com
...And what would i get by pairing 2 Red Stripe x Emerine crosses?

All offspring Red Stripe X Emerine Cross? Or would i get both Red Stripes, and Emerines hatching out?

cassadaga

Oregon Rainwater
There is likely not an Emerine out there that doesn't have striped/jungle genes. So an Emerine X Stripe will probably give you stripes in the first generation.

robin

agreed but if there isnt emerine x red stripe should yield you some emerines "het" stripe then breed those together and you should get more emerines and perhaps an emerine stripe, remember though emerine is a line bred trait. emerine x red stripes will give you some nice tangerines maybe some that have a greenish look to them and the offspring the same except some stripes

Last edited:

KelliH

The Bold Stripe gene is passed on either recessively or in a manner that is very similar. Example: Bold Stripe x Normal = Normal with bold bands
Bold Stripe offspring X Bold Stripe offspring = about 25% Bold Stripes, a few Jungles and some normals.

N

Nigel4less

The Bold Stripe gene is passed on either recessively or in a manner that is very similar. Example: Bold Stripe x Normal = Normal with bold bands
Bold Stripe offspring X Bold Stripe offspring = about 25% Bold Stripes, a few Jungles and some normals.

Kelli would you say that the Jungle offspring act as say a "Lesser" Stripe so to speak? Similar to the Platinum Gene in Ball Pythons.

Or is it more of a Het "Marker"?

Visit our friends