Substrate enclosure

Otter28

Hi all! I have been a leopard gecko owner for about a year now. Fuego is a girl and she is doing well for the most part. Lately i have run into an issue though. Fuego hasn’t eaten in months. Her tail is still fat and she is more active then before so I didn’t really see this as anything to worry about. But the last couple of weeks I got quite worried so i started watching her more, turns out she will only eat if she can hunt the crickets down herself at night. Fine by me, but the problem is that the ground she walks on is just a huge tile at the moment. It has enough grip and it let’s the heat from the mat through but the crickets can just go and sit on the edge where there is a tiny gap between the tile and the enclosure. So fuego can’t reach them. So i was wondering if anybody has any solutions. I don’t really want to use sand. People told me it’s bad for the gecko and calcium sand makes my room smell horrible, so maybe something else. Thanks in advance!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
You could wet some paper towel, roll it up, put it in the gap and let it dry for a papier mache effect. I use this in my arboreal gecko cages for small geckos that may escape behind the background.

Aliza

Otter28

You could wet some paper towel, roll it up, put it in the gap and let it dry for a papier mache effect. I use this in my arboreal gecko cages for small geckos that may escape behind the background.

Aliza
Oh yeah thats a great idea because then I could still clean below the tile. Thanks a lot!

Visit our friends