Substrate question?

Cym

New Member
Messages
5
I have two female leos who are both 14-15 years old. I got them back when it was acceptable to use paper towels as long terms ground covering. Both my girls are active but currently underweight. Not because of health concerns but because we had some harsh and unexpected seasonal changes during a move last year. They are both currently gaining weight slowly but steadily. Nothing i am worried about... however they have lived their entire lives without substrates other than their moss in their moist hides. Could I safely change them over to substrate? Should I even worry about that? Thanks so much!
 

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Messages
15,508
Location
Somerville, MA
What substrate are you thinking of? They'll probably be fine with what they have and what they're used to. I use ceramic tile and include a humid hide with coco fiber. Some people have used some sort of coco fiber substrate and I did for one of my enclosures for a number of years. If you choose to do this here are some things that will help:
--you will have to mist the substrate occasionally or else it will get very dry
--once you figure out where they're going to poop, put a small tile so they poop there and you can remove the poop which will otherwise stay in the substrate
--many people who use some sort of particle substrate like to have a "cleanup crew" of scavenger bugs who will eat the poop (so you wouldn't need the poop tile). Most people use isopods but they require more moisture than in a typical leopard gecko enclosure. You could get some and keep a small area of the enclosure moist, or you can look into dermestid beetles which don't need that much moisture, but, in my experience, do reproduce actively.

Aliza
 

Cym

New Member
Messages
5
Hi Aliza thanks for the response!

I was figuring i could do cocofiber mixed with a sterilized sand (like playsand). But also I am not concerned about changing things over too much since my girls seem to be thriving. They only reason I really asked was because a lot of things have changed in gecko care and was actually doing an overhaul change of decorations because its time (everything is a bit old and worn in the enclosures). The girls don't seem to seek out digging areas though so I don't think they miss the behavior. They aren't going under the paper towels or anything. Nothing that throws up redflags. If you think they would be ok with what they have now maybe I will just change the decor for now and see how that goes. Its a big change in itself. I will be adding a smidge more low level climbing stuff and some more silk plants and small hides to explore. If that sounds safe and ok for my girls then I think that may be what I do for now?

Amber
 

Cym

New Member
Messages
5
Also do you recommend hot glue for mounting things inside the enclosure? I have a few pieces i wanna fuse together for a bit (doesn't have to last forever). Or is there a different bonding agent you would recommend?
 

Visit our friends

Top