Substrate

A

aftowner

Hey there. I just found and joined this community.

I've been re-researching the AFT because I know information for animals tends to change. I've had an AFT for 10 years now. He's on Eco Earth substrate, but I've found conflicting information on whether loose bedding can cause impaction. Some say that reptile carpet, ceramic tile, newspaper, or even paper towels are a better substrate. Well, that's IF I can even find information on AFTs. The web is inundated with Leo information instead. :(

I was wondering what you all had to say about this issue.

Also, if I changed, do you think that would cause him stress since he's been on Eco Earth for 10 years now? Or am I just freaking out over nothing since he's been fine for 10 years?

Thanks for any help/advice I may get. :)

HepCatMoe

Escaped A.I.
i think you are probably fine. if you have had your guy for ten years and he is happy and healthy i would not change anything you are doing.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I agree. I keep all my adult AFTs on Coco fiber and have never had impaction issues. They are much less likely to be substrate eaters than Leos.

GeckoGurl

Hello I am a new AFT owner and for temp I put mine on play sand for a couple days til I could get to pet store for a brick of Eco Earth Coconut Substrate.... I was curious what everyones opinion was on just laying it over the inch of sand I have in there... the main thing I am concerned with is will that still be enough belly heat? Just curious... I appreciate any advice in advance...

GeckoGurl

Hello I am a new AFT owner and for temp I put mine on play sand for a couple days til I could get to pet store for a brick of Eco Earth Coconut Substrate.... I was curious what everyones opinion was on just laying it over the inch of sand I have in there... the main thing I am concerned with is will that still be enough belly heat? Just curious... I appreciate any advice in advance...

I have the Eco Earth substrate soaking now...

Visit our friends