Such thing as too big?

Ryno

Hey everyone, I had a few questions. To start, is there such a thing as too big of a tank? I use to breed cichlids and have an assortment of tanks. Several 10 gallons, 2x 20 gallons, 29 gallon, 55 gallon, 75 gallon and a 125 gallon. I don't plan on breeding (at least not at the moment), so can I for say put 2 or 3 females in the 125 or do I need to still keep it 1 per tank in smaller tanks? If so, since it is so long, do I need to use a heater on both ends? And everyone talks about a moist box, does that go on the warmer end or cooler side? I was at repticon today and saw a lot of equipment and geckos, yet I didn't even think to ask all the breeders and shops there. I'm still in the research process before I jump and buy. I'm a firm believer in research, research , research. Also, should I buy from my local pet store or should I buy from breeders or exotic pet shops? Quality over cost? Another question, I know leos don't need UVB lights and I still have all my light fixtures from my tanks, since my room doesn't get much sunlight, would the lights put off too much heat? Would I need LED lights instead of the bulb lights? Whats the best way to regulate the temp of the heat mats when they can't be set to a specific temp? All and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Sorry I didn't see this before:
a. size of tank: a very large tank is fine and could house a number of females. Some people think all leopard geckos should be housed individually to avoid any possible problems. I have kept my geckos in small groups for the last 15 years and have rarely had problems. It never hurts to have an extra setup to use for emergencies.
b. heating: use a large heat mat on one side so there's a temperature gradient. Or, get the longer ZooMed heat cable and install it in one side. Heat mats and heat cable are controlled with a reptile thermostat. You can get a reasonable one for about $30. Check this on Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076J1CZVV/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
c. humid hide: I just put it wherever I have room and don't worry if it's on the hot or the cold side
d. lighting: If there's very little daylight, lights are appreciated to help them establish their day/night cycle. The light could be in the room or over the enclosure. Note that a light that generates lots of heat will dry out the environment and possibly dehydrate the gecko, so minimize heat output
e. purchasing: big block pet stores have crowded geckos, sometimes in poor health and more liable to be diseased. Small exotic reptile shops can be a good choice but their reputations may vary. Buying from an established breeder that's got good recommendations either at a show or by mail is usually good bet.

I hope all this was helpful.

Aliza

JabbaTheFrog

You can never have an enclosure that's too big, you can, however, have an enclosure that's too open. Make sure you have multiple hiding places, whether its fake plants, half logs, caves, cork bark or flats, or just a rock they could hide behind. That makes them feel safer and prevents fights over one specific hide since there are so many.

Visit our friends