Temperature?

GothicGurrrl

Hey :)
I'm bringing home my new leopard gecko in a couple of days.. and I've set up the tank and heating ready for her arrival?

I was just wondering what the perfect temperature should be?

I use a heat mat during the day, and at night (7pm until 7am) I switch to a red heat bulb? The temperature right now is 30.4 Celsius.

Skydiver Keith

I keep the warm side 95*f on the hot spot, 90*f in the warm/moist hide, and anywhere from 75-85*f on the cold side.

I keep the humidity between 40-50% during the day with ventilation, and 90-100% with little ventilation at night.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Here's my 2 cents: keep the heat on the hot side on the floor at 92-95 (using a rheostat or thermostat if necessary) all the time (don't turn it off at night). Don't worry about the cool side unless your house is below 60 degrees. Use the red light if you really want to, but it's not necessary.

Aliza

GothicGurrrl

:) thankyou. My temperature is great then :D

I use the heat lamp at night.. It's very warm so I like it. It's on 35c.. which is the same as 95f i think.
I use the mat during the day.. the mat is at 26.1c right now.. I use a habistat to control the mat.

monkeytechahoo

I agree with "leave the mat on all day & night". Mine & my daughter's geckos move around thru the day/night and are in/out of their warm hides all the time. It's what I've read about the UTH too, leave it on 24/7. Our hot side temp is from 92 - 98.

Humidity, I'm new to geckos by about 6mths, but they really don't need a high humidity from what I've read & been told. Someone more experienced will come and post more on this though.

GothicGurrrl

I agree with "leave the mat on all day & night". Mine & my daughter's geckos move around thru the day/night and are in/out of their warm hides all the time. It's what I've read about the UTH too, leave it on 24/7. Our hot side temp is from 92 - 98.

Humidity, I'm new to geckos by about 6mths, but they really don't need a high humidity from what I've read & been told. Someone more experienced will come and post more on this though.

Hey :) I've decided to just use a UTH now because the red bulb was overheating too much and I couldn't sleep because I was constantly worried it would get too hot while I was asleep.. and I couldn't afford a thermostat for a bulb.. they are £50. Soo, I have my UTH on all the time, connecting to a thermostat thats set to 34/35C.. and the tank is at 37.4C now but the mat should have cooled down because of the thermostat settings.

I had a moist hide in the tank, but I was told they are not needed in the tank all the time.. so i have taken it out. :D

Skydiver Keith

Hey :) I've decided to just use a UTH now because the red bulb was overheating too much and I couldn't sleep because I was constantly worried it would get too hot while I was asleep.. and I couldn't afford a thermostat for a bulb.. they are £50. Soo, I have my UTH on all the time, connecting to a thermostat thats set to 34/35C.. and the tank is at 37.4C now but the mat should have cooled down because of the thermostat settings.

I had a moist hide in the tank, but I was told they are not needed in the tank all the time.. so i have taken it out. :D

I leave my moist hide in all the time, and my baby loves it. I think the conventional wisdom is that its only needed for shedding, but my Leo uses it everyday.

GothicGurrrl

I leave my moist hide in all the time, and my baby loves it. I think the conventional wisdom is that its only needed for shedding, but my Leo uses it everyday.

Yeah, I was going to leave it in. but she's never had one.. and she wasn't going in it. I might put it in a week or so when she's settled in. how often do leopard geckos just over a year old shed?

monkeytechahoo

Our moist hides stay in 24/7 and the geckos are in & out of them when need be. Everything I've read & been told is to just leave it in there an they'll use it when needed. It does help alot when they shed. Heck, sometimes Griff is in there just to be in there. *lol*

Ours are over a year old each and they shed at least once a month.

GothicGurrrl

Our moist hides stay in 24/7 and the geckos are in & out of them when need be. Everything I've read & been told is to just leave it in there an they'll use it when needed. It does help alot when they shed. Heck, sometimes Griff is in there just to be in there. *lol*

Ours are over a year old each and they shed at least once a month.

okay dokey.. I'll put it back in the viv in a minute. I just use sphagnum moss and spray it in the morning and evening when i turn the lights off.

Visit our friends